Clock Movement that needs some help

justinabshire

Mar 7, 2021
Country
I recently bought this clock from a thrift store and lets just say it looked like the previous owners used an entire can of WD40. I recently cleaned it twice with dawn and hot water and I can’t seem to get it to tick any tips or things to try would be greatly appreciated Or something else to clean it with.

image.jpg E695F05C-171A-40CA-8D39-26ABC5351149.jpeg

Last edited:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Did you take it apart or just put it complete in the wash?

JTD

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
Look for worn pivot holes. Shake the main wheels back and forth look for slop in the pivots. It stopped for some reason hence the WD40. Without taking it apart and doing a proper cleaning and repair you're doomed to failure especially with an old count wheel cuckoo. Lots of information here and lots of people willing to help if you wish to do so.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You have one of the better cuckoo movements there, and it's pretty old. Probably 1950's or 1960's era. I don't see any evidence that it was ever serviced. It's going to need some bushing work, and it's not an easy movement to work on. I'm afraid you're going to be forced with a decision. Either learn how to service clocks, send it to a repairman, or get rid of it. You could probably re-sell it as a non-working clock if you wanted. If you decide to have it serviced by a pro, expect a bill between $200.00 and $300.00. New cuckoo's don't have the quality movements like yours, so if you like the case it will be worth the cost to get it running.

justinabshire

Mar 7, 2021
Country
You have one of the better cuckoo movements there, and it's pretty old. Probably 1950's or 1960's era. I don't see any evidence that it was ever serviced. It's going to need some bushing work, and it's not an easy movement to work on. I'm afraid you're going to be forced with a decision. Either learn how to service clocks, send it to a repairman, or get rid of it. You could probably re-sell it as a non-working clock if you wanted. If you decide to have it serviced by a pro, expect a bill between $200.00 and $300.00. New cuckoo's don't have the quality movements like yours, so if you like the case it will be worth the cost to get it running.
Well as for me working on it I am not 100% sure. If I were to replace what is the name of the movement?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That movement is not made any more. You might be able to mount a different movement in it, but they are not easy to get right.
You might be able to find a rebuilt movement on Ebay, but you never really know what you're getting.

justinabshire

Mar 7, 2021
Country
That movement is not made any more. You might be able to mount a different movement in it, but they are not easy to get right.
You might be able to find a rebuilt movement on Ebay, but you never really know what you're getting.
What is the name that I should search for on eBay

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Enter "count wheel cuckoo movement" and try to match the shape with what you have. Any markings on the movement would help. Be sure it has been rebuilt, and ask what was done. If the movement was not disassembled, don't buy it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre