Clock movement identification

cucoclock

Jul 17, 2005
Santander, Spain
www.cucoclock.com
Country
Hello,

I would need some help for the identification of this great clock movement.

Can you give me some information about: year, country, company maker, ...?

I think probably this clock movement was made for a regulator clock. The clock movement weight (including wood base), is 3.8 kg. Is a loud mouvement.

The movement has a pin-wheel escapement, and don´t have striking mechanism.

Size: high: 21 cm; brass plates thickness: 3.5 mm

Thank you very much for any help.

Kind regards,
Miguel
www.cucoclock.com

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
I would guess Miguel that the clock movement was made by a craftsman and not a production made item.

That the wheels are solid and not crossed-out is a clue. Too, the length of the wheel collets are long. Those are characteristics that don't go with a mass produced clock movement.

Also, the porcelain face, a pretty one, has been adapted to fasten to the movement front plate. Again, a technique not used in production systems.

I think the movement was carefully made by a skilled metal worker who had the time and tools to hand-make a nice pin-wheel escampement clock movement. Maybe in France.

It is not uncommon to find these one-off movements which were sometimes made in schools where metal crafts were taught. I note that the rear plate has been "grained" after being polished; a technique taught in metal working schools.

You say that the movement is loud or ticks with a loud sound. I think, then that the escapement may probably be of recoil type driven by a heavy drive weight. Normally, a dead-beat escapement is, because of the precision, not noisy.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Concurring with all of ECK, I add;
I have here a faux pinwheel clock that performs like a recoil and one of the noisiest I own because of the pins SLAMMING into the pallet faces by design. So very much UNlike that design, a true pinwheel may be among the quietest of tickers because the pin has only a few thousandths drop to accellerate toward the next locking face - a distance that barely can produce a sound.
Watch it perform. Does it behave as a pinwheel with a deadbeat movement?

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Interesting movement and as others have said looks a hand made one, though where and when and by whom who knows. Odd that the bottom pillars have what appears to be a stud or nut, one is missing and appears to have been soldered, while the top pillars don't.

Makes no sense to me why anyone would use a pinwheel type escapement and end up with a recoil. :?|

cucoclock

Jul 17, 2005
Santander, Spain
www.cucoclock.com
Country
Hello,

Thank you very much for all your answers.

Eckmill, your information are very usefull. When I wrote "loud", I was trying to say "heavy". I´m sorry but my english is not too good.

I´m very curious for knowing clock history. My interest in antiques clocks take me to read clock books and try to find all clock information is possible.

Kind regards,
Miguel
www.cucoclock.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S. Attar
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller