Clock Meets Thermometer: The Springfield Thermoclock.

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by chimeclockfan, Aug 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a strange little piece that holds some relevance to horology. It is a "Thermoclock". What is a Thermoclock you may wonder? It was simply a small desktop thermometer designed to resemble a Gothic upright mantel clock. Popular during the 1930's along with other neo-Gothic fare, these were manufactured by the Thermoclock Manufacturing Co. of Springfield, Ohio. A patent was applied for but as of this writing I cannot seem to find it anywhere. I do not think this company made it into the 1960's but any further historic information is welcome.

1931 advert.png

The case is made of Aldur or Bakelite and was furnished in several different colors. The most common models appear to be 'Mahogany' or 'Walnut'. Less common are those featuring cast portraits of George Washington and Mark Twain. Personalized Thermoclocks were also offered with company addresses or personal dedications being screened onto the base. The thermometer mechanism composes of two metal leaves which control an indicator hand in the usual fashion. They are well made pieces but care must be taken to avoid damage. Sporadic problems include cracked Bakelite or corroded hands - nothing irreparable for the most part. This cream colored Thermoclock is typical of the many color varieties offered.

Cream1.jpg

My Thermoclock came from a local antiques store. It was sitting in a display shelf and from the looks of it had been there for some time. On the day I bought it the weather had turned cold so its little indicator hand shot all the way down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Upon entry into the bedroom it immediately warmed up and has usually given indications around 65 to 70 degrees. It's kept good "time" ever since it arrived. It is an example of a personalized Thermoclock, originally sold by a funeral home.

Gant.jpg

2. Cheechwizard

Cheechwizard New Member

Aug 26, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The following is is a link to the FA Pfeifer Thermostat patent (1906487), which was filed on Dec. 26, 1930 and patented on May 2, 1933. There's a lot of great detail...

United States Patent: 1906487

When the Patent Page comes up, click on the Images link and you'll see four patent sections you can click on individually.

Best wishes,

-Vaughn

Brad Maisto likes this.