clock listing red flags

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by bruce linde, May 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  2. CameraGuy32

CameraGuy32 Registered User

Apr 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Because you can't work on an older movement with a new machine. The new ones are for the quartz movements. :)

3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    speaking of craigslist and quartz movements, some things can't be un-seen:

00z0z_iqiRLSQC6F_1200x900.jpg

0ldMan likes this.
  4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh, I don't know Bruce. Kind of an artistic expression of the passage of time. Having said that, I don't want one as it also is an expression of neglect.

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not a red flag, but I wonder what kind of wood it is now...?

"I'm not sure of the wood, but my father in law said it was hickory many years ago."

Tom

bruce linde likes this.
  6. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Not really a red flag but......I recently saw a clock listed on CL for a price that was below what I thought was a fair offer. However I found out that a previous buyer had decided to take the clock. A week later the seller replied to my original message saying the clock was still available. So, I made an offer of double the asking price of the clock. I recieved an immediate reply from the seller saying "SOLD" and the listing was promptly deleted.

I then contacted the seller asking for contact information and pick-up location, that was 2 weeks ago and I have recieved no response from the seller despite several attempts on my part.

No big deal, there will always be more clocks, however one would think that sellers would be more mindful that CL buyers are taking more of a risk than sellers not to mention travel time, in my case it was a 6 hour trip to the general location and 6 hours back.

Just ranting, I feel better now!

7. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    if all they said was ‘sold’ they might have meant that the previous person came through after all.... either way, craigslist seller rudeness would require a thread of its own.

8. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A good and reasonable theory, but I am the "fourth party" (owner (1), original person with interest (2), UpstateNY (3) and me (4)) in this case and know the whole story. I also received a message it was sold, and then another saying it was available. I guess I beat UpstateNY with my 2nd reply, because I ended up with the clock and just posted it (after messaging my condolences to UpstateNY) see: Waltham Grandfather

Tom

9. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Gleber, not to worry! I am pleased to see that you got it! They are really well made clocks and it will be with you for a long time. The single tube ones use a very long large diameter tube and sound beautiful through out your home. I can attest to this because I too have a single tube Waltham. You will spend many plesant hours getting the best sound out of the tube. Not too many were done with a white enameled dial.

10. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    #210 mauleg, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Here's a new one:

"Fishing Boy Mental Clock Case"

I'm not too sure if it's legal to sell fishing boys, whether they're mental or not...What makes this one even funnier is that they carried it into the description:

"This Is a fishing boy clock case. Made of mental (This is being sold as is.)."

Turning it loose without the benefit of either therapy or medication...sad...

Time After Time likes this.
  11. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    seeing this pop up a little more often in grandfather clock listings:

"timeless"

not sure that's a selling point when looking for a mechanical clock, but you never know... :cool:

brian fisher likes this.
  12. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "Limited Addition Grand Clock'

spelling isn't so great, either....

13. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Low markup?

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The bidding can only go up to a grand. After that it's not calculable on the standard abacus :)

15. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    as if the world situation weren't depressing enough, here's the craigslist of the day:

"grandfrath clock"

i sent a nice note suggesting that they fix that...

16. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seen a school clock advertised as Amsonia. Also an office double dial as a Seth Thompson. LOL

17. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Was it Amsonia or Insomnia?:D

Uhralt

clocks4u likes this.
  18. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe it's one of those new Amway products. You can make some real cash with them you know!?

19. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So, I have a lathe for sale today and here is one of my almost immediate responders "OK can I mail you a cashiers check as payment and my mover gonna come pick up?" My comment was "no checks" and strangely enough, I got no response...

20. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    online listing of the day:

"wall watch"

guess they never heard of 'clocks'?

sigh...

21. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Of course they have... They'll probably post their wrist clock next.

;)

22. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm aware of Mickey Mouse Watch Styled Wall Clocks with "Bands", but if that were the case, they probably would have led with "Mickey Mouse"....

23. brian fisher

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

god bless the nigerians. they actually have an entire industry devoted to scamming. cheating people is a high percentage of the GNP in that country. by now, it would seem like those are old tricks everyone has seen and heard by now. however, they always keep on keeping on. apparently someone must fall for it every now and again or they would stop wasting their time.

that is a mighty big lathe you are selling. i always find myself wondering how people move items that big and heavy? will you have to dissassemble your lift to get it out of there?

24. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think I would have said "sure". Your mover can pick it up after the check clears.

25. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Even "cash" on pick-up can be good counterfeit bills. If you detect counterfeit bills, what then? You're looking at someone with a criminal mind. Hopefully they are not in your house/basement/shop. Nigerians don't pick-up items. They're all about electronic transfers, aren't they? Don't 'know as I don't read Junk e-mails so I don't know the details of their notorious schemes.

26. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A word of caution. Having funds deposits in your account happens within a few days, but the check clearing can take longer. Even money orders can be fraudulent. In either case, money will go into your account initially and then be reversed.

Tom

27. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You should be able to take a cashiers check to the bank and trade it for cash.

28. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are a few emails I received regarding a Gilbert regulator I have on Craigslist right now.

"It is looking good. I want to get it. Text me to flanki7867667565@xxxx ,If it is still available" My response was it contact me at phone number provided.

"nwe like it. I want to take it. Let me know, is it still there? If it still exists, please contact me to my email" my response was same as above.

This was my favorite.

"I want to buy it. Is it Still available for purchase or already sold? If it is sitill available, and you still want to sold it, please contact to my personal email"

29. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I assume most of these people are just trying to get into a house to case the joint? I'm not understanding how Nigerian scammers are a factor in these cases.
    I rarely sell anything locally. I wear it out and throw it away or donate it to a charity.
    Should I ever need it, I'm glad our Sheriff has a place in their lot for conducting these transactions under the watchful eye of a camera.

30. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wondered about some of these same things Martin. I don't usually even browse Craig's List, although some here have found great deals there. I certainly wouldn't sell there.
    The Nigerian comment was just a joke I think, but I'll let brian confirm or deny that. We have a friend who does the same thing you do. He doesn't bother with Garage Sales, Craig's List, etc. because he doesn't want strangers in his house or even his yard. We've been donating things to Goodwill lately. Plan to do a lot more of that in the coming years. Had not heard about the "safe place" to conduct these sorts of transactions. I have heard of public meeting places; Malls and such... I'd just rather not bother with any of it.

31. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I sell clocks on Craigslist, I meet in a nearby public area. Never had a problem. These people are clearly trying to scam in some way. Probably attempting to get info that they can use to get your routing number, or give up your item with a phony cashiers check. One big scam was the over payment, with you refunding the money by Paypal. Of coarse the check is a fake. I even played along with one of these guys by giving them a false address for their agent to pick up with a cashiers check. I strung them along for a couple days. It was fairly comical to read their emails.

32. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd be surprised if a bank would do that without knowing you or you having an account with them. If it turns out it was fake, they'll eventually debit your account. You'll be out the product and the cash.

Search money order scam or cashier's check's scam to learn more.

Tom

33. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #233 Bruce Alexander, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    :offtopic:
    My Wife and I ran a Bed & Breakfast for 14 years. Before we even hosted our first guest we were solicited with a phony vacancy inquiry. Supposedly a large group of travelers looking for an extended stay...requiring several rooms and wanting to know what forms of payment we accept. We spoke with our Banker and she told us it was definitely a scam. They would typically overpay, or wanted us to make additional arrangements for car rentals, etc. Payment to be made by check or money order. Somehow, it would always involve a full, or partial refund of the over payment. Overseas "travelers". Slow check "processing". Their check bounces..... We pretty much started getting these types of "inquiries" as soon as our website went live with contact information i. It continued right up until we took the website down. The Internet changes everything and yet it changes nothing. Same old thing, only faster...an international pool of suckers.

clocks4u likes this.
  34. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    You're missing out on some great entertainment...

When selling via Ebay, simply require any buyer to buy through Ebay and pay via PayPal. There are numerous protections therein for both buyers and sellers that obviate dog-and-pony-show shenanigans.

35. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unfortunately, Paypal in my experience is strongly biased toward the buyers. All the buyer has to do to get your funds tied up and perhaps getting a full refund and keeping the item is to claim it was not as advertised, or he didn't receive it, or it was not well packed and it was damaged in shipment. Proof of delivery doesn't really hold sway with our friends at Paypal. While there are obviously crooked sellers, I have had issues with buyers. I shipped a product 3 times to a buyer in France before he finally "got it." I never got a return of the other two, just fell off the face of the earth? That claim only cost me $1000 or so.

36. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    For issues with buyers, I go through Ebay, not Paypal; their mediation system has found in my favor when appropriate and when they rule in your favor, PayPal releases the funds.

37. Stu Riegel

Stu Riegel Registered User

Jun 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    1060 West Addision? That's Wrigley Field.

38. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    my all-time favorite was "made of tree wood"

39. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    :chuckling:....guess it might have been made from some of Monty Python's shrubbery wood. Distinctions have to be made.

40. brian fisher

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

no, it most certainly was not a joke. almost every craigslist scammer that sends messages in "engrish" is from there. they say they are going to pay with a cashier's check which is always bogus. they pay too much. they ask you to send them a refund. you send real money but by the time you realize the cashier's check is bad, you are already SOL.

this is one of the most common of many scams these guys pull.

41. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    As opposed to bamboo?

The Treasured Clock likes this.
  42. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not too certain much of the general population would understand bamboo is large grass, not wood?

43. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Brian.

Oops, sorry.

Nigerian Scams has been a running joke since, forever.

Interesting.

That sounds a lot like scams unknown folks used to try and pull on our B&B business. Those "Travelers" weren't coming from Nigeria though. Their e-mails always went straight to the trash folder.

How do you know these folks are from Nigeria? Has Craigslist played along to track them down and bust them up?

If you don't have an IP address, I guess you never really know and even then one can use a VPN.

(How does Craigslist even make money anyway?)

I looked online for countries with the most and least online fraud and Indonesia, Venezuela, South Africa, Brazil, and Romania topped the list.
    Denmark was one of the safest. Countries with the most and least online fraud

Maybe Craigslist is for penny ante, amateur Fraudsters? Folks with meager means who are just getting started in the Trillion Dollar Industry...:cool:

44. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    This is an unscientific anecdotal personal observation and possibly the umpteenth repetition on this thread (sorry, haven't really been following it).

I recognize that many horological listings on eBay may be placed by folks who do not have much of a background in that topic which fascinates those of us here. So, I typically overlook many faux pas in the listings as I hope people would when I try to talk about say a watch or coin or something else about which I don't know my sphincter ani externus from the ginglymus joint between my distal humerus and proximal radius and ulna.

I'm sure someone has already pointed out the less than correct proclamations of "RARE" or "MINT" in many eBay listings.

It is my perception that when words like "MAGNIFICENT" or "STUNNING" are used, often the object is anything but and more often scatological in nature.

RM

45. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It depends on how you define RARE,MINT, MAGNIFICENT and STUNNING

46. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like RARE, UNIQUE, ONE OFF, ONLY ONE KNOWN, CUSTOM MADE and like phrases to be helpful when applied to a kitchen clock, or a black mantle clock, or a standard anniversary clock, or a Trend tall clock or anything made by Seth Thomas, or Ridgeway, etc.

47. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    No, like mantle vs. mantel, there are definitions. And no, the objects I have seen so described often defy any of those definitions.

Yes, I like those too. Often applied to Howard Miller clocks as well.

Have you noticed that the word "vintage" is used more and more?

And we ain't talkin' fine wines. Typically applied to anything that maybe > a week old.

RM

Raymond Rice likes this.
  48. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Or as my dear old Dad used to say...."from a hole in the ground..."

"RARE" or "MINT" is objective. Easily dismissed by those in the know. Actually, I don't see many Sellers making this claim unless they really don't know their anal sphincter from a hole in the ground. Probably because they've inherited the clock and want to get as much money out of their inheritance as they can.

"MAGNIFICENT" or "STUNNING" is subjective and they (or their synonyms) are more often seen. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A common model can be an extremely nice example and still worth very little on the market.

We laugh because we know better, of course. What would be
    "RARE & STUNNING" would be to see a listing that proclaimed

"Commonly found, low-grade model in average condition for its age. Didn't particularly like the previous owner (recently deceased). Make me an offer.

49. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Quite often an ad that heralds an item as "RARE" also includes the line in the description: "I don't know much about clocks...". Kind of hard to value their their assertion of the rarity of an item when they turn around and tell you they know nothing about the subject. o_O

Bob

50. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I couldn't help but notice a clock recently available for about $2 million and actually offered "free shipping" to the buyer. What a deal that would be? And the write up included a 2 line description. And it is EXTREMELY RARE too. Not to be confused with commonly rare. I wonder how they would feel about "partially pregnant?"

Raymond Rice likes this.