clock latch replacement

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Bruce Barnes, Jun 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Since I don't have an Atkins catalog,does anyone know if this model originally had bone or ivory latches and if so, a source for purchase?
    Thanks

23758_01.jpg

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #2 Steven Thornberry, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Gregory & King show many examples of this style of clock (the Octagon Drop XX) with ivory knobs, but they show one example which they state had metal knobs (p. 70, fig. 258). There are other possible metal-knob cases, but they do not always identify the door knob material. Chris Bailey's write-up on the Atkins Clock Co. in the AWCM's 1999 reprint of the 1873 Atkins catalogue mentions that among the items in the bankruptcy inventory of the January 1857 Atkins Clock Manufacturing Co. were "680 - Ivory turns (door knobs)". However, no mention of such items is made in the January 1880 bankruptcy inventory of the Atkins Clock Co., though much else is noted.

The ACWM reprint also contains a catalogue illustration of an Atkins Octagon Drop XX marketed by the American Clock Co. (apparently in 1865, 1867, and 1869), but the door-knob material is not identified. Could be ivory, I guess. In any event, the smart money is on ivory.

3. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Many thanks Steven, I was afraid that was going to be the answer and what a "bear" it will be to find a replacement pair.
    Bruce