Clock is speeding up(?)

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Santa Rosa,CA
Country
Region
This one has me stumped. A person brought me a German chime clock from ~1950's. His claim was that over the past months it has been running faster. I assumed what he meant was that it was running fast, so when he wound it each week he reset it back to the correct time, and each week he would have to set it back further than the previous week. If that is what was happening, the only way I know of for a clock to start running faster is if the escapement flutters, but I am only aware of that happening with 400 Day clocks. The hands seemed to be reasonably tight, so I ruled out any kind of motion works/hand slipping. The pendulum was adjusted to its maximum length, but is still running fast. I didn't see anything unusual about the suspension spring, crutch or pendulum rod. Any ideas how this could occur?
Thanks,
Stan

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If anchor is set too far away from the escape wheel, it could be skipping teeth.

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
If the movement is dirty or worn and full power from the mainspring is not getting to the escapement, the pendulum will travel less distance (shorter arc) and the clock movement will run faster as a result.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A dead beat escapement that is not adjusted properly can do this also. Every tooth should drop onto the dead face of the pallet. This can happen slowly due to wear.
Willie X

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Lower swing on a dead beat will speed it up because of less
swing and circular error as mentioned.
Did he state how much he was seeing each week?
Tinker Dwight

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Santa Rosa,CA
Country
Region
This clock had been running correctly (for years), but over time (recently) has sped up (he said it is now several minutes/week). I'm having trouble with the concept that if a pendulum amplitude is lower, that the frequency will be higher. Intuitively, I am visualizing a small amplitude swing resulting in lower velocity at the center point of the swing than a high amplitude swing, but both having the same frequency (and hence the same time regulation). So the skipping E/W teeth seems more plausible to me. If someone can explain how the amplitude can affect the frequency, I'd appreciate that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ememess
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre