• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Clock info please

Sherye3305

New User
Jan 11, 2022
Country
Hello
My grandmother gave me this clock. She stated it was my great great grandmothers so it is very sentimental to my family.
Any info on it?
Is it worth restoring?
I sat it upright and it started to make noise but I have no idea where to begin on restoring it

thanks

7BEA7F07-D16A-4B55-9543-E67625888B3A.jpeg AD0780CA-A480-4CC9-84D3-A9FF1F105D64.jpeg 471A9C12-632D-42B5-8F61-775F71E51BEA.jpeg A5BB9A37-B54B-4BC2-B0F0-661ED7EE9486.jpeg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
that's what i/we call 'kitchen' clocks.... there were a zillion variations on the theme, with ornate carvings and layouts all aimed at disguising the fact that they weren't that great.

if you have both side pieces, you could try glueing the case back together after cleaning with gojo hand cleaner.... btw, you can search the message board more efficiently using google... just add ' site:mb.nawcc.org' to your search params, i.e.:

gojo site:mb.nawcc.org

you'll get the usual google search engine results, and you can open interesting looking links in new tabs or windows to review at your leisure.

then, the movement needs to be fully disassembled and serviced... plenty of threads in the clock repair forum if you're truly interested in learning how.... can't imagine any paid resource not charging more than the clock is worth.

as for that, even when these are in top condition and altogether i think you'd be lucky to get even $100 for them... and then you have to ship without danger of breaking the glass... which i just noticed is missing (doh!). you'll want to get a piece of old glass if trying to replace the glass, although timesavers does have both replacement glasses and decals you apply to clear glass. google 'antique kitchen clocks' and then click on 'images' to see a zillion examples of what it might have looked like.

finally, you'll have to deal with the dial. if you have steady hands, you could try soaking in a bit of bleach to see if you could lighten up the existing dial and maybe re-black the numbers. a great book on clock restoration is tom temple's extreme restoration.

or, you could spend the time and energy reading through the posts in the 'clock repair' forum, and get a much less exhausting and expensive vicarious clock repair high! :)

btw... your clock is a calendar clock, which does make it a bit more interesting.

Reactions: Jmeechie

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
p.s.: those are just my opinions and may not match what others have to say.... :)

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
I agree with Bruce above except, I’d recommend lightly wiping down the surface with denatured alcohol first and then gluing the case back together. After that, then rub down the whole case with GoJo. I see 1 side piece and hopefully you have the other. The other side has a simple barometer in a tube.
Good luck!
Cheers,
James

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
These old clocks were nailed together, with some glue here and there. :)

The nails they used were almost identical to the ones used (then and now) to put together beehive parts. #18 or #19 coated nails, in 3/4", 1", and 1 1/4" lengths will do it all.

Willie X

owen.or

NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Near Portland, Oregon
Country
Region
The Sessions Clock Company came into being in 1903. Someone might have a Sessions catalog or price guide which could date the clock more precisely. David, Owen.or

ToddT

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Country
Region
Sessions Grand No. 2 - 1915 (from Tran Duy Ly) This will also show what the glass may have looked like. I note the side piece on yours has a thermometer.
20220112_070303.jpg

c.kugle

Jul 15, 2021
Country
Hello
My grandmother gave me this clock. She stated it was my great great grandmothers so it is very sentimental to my family.
Any info on it?
Is it worth restoring?
I sat it upright and it started to make noise but I have no idea where to begin on restoring it

thanks

View attachment 689590 View attachment 689591 View attachment 689592 View attachment 689593
It appears you have a Sessions Grand No.2 circa 1915 or a variant. Antique Clock Details (antiqueclockspriceguide.com) .

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
Sherye3305 ,
First and foremost, welcome to the MB. To summarize what I read from the above knowledgeable replies, is that from a pure financial viewpoint the restoration of your clock will certainly cost more that it is worth on the open market. Having said that, the sentimental value cannot be so easily determined but being that it is from your great great grandmother, I expect it is very valuable. You may wish to consider taking it to local reputable clock repair business and obtain a quote to bring it back to life and make a decision from that.

Good luck,
Royce

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
Sherye -
Welcome. I too inherited a Sessions clock from my grandfather to start me off in this hobby. They are good timekeepers and especially endearing. You might get another clock, but you'll never get more grandparents. So my vote is to get it back in running shape and enjoy some family history. The best part is that no one but you is expecting the clock. So if it takes 5 years, then you still have the customer's full approval. :)

A great many of the clocks (absolutely more than I ever planned) come to me in the same shape. A lot of these clocks get placed in storage when grandmother passes. Then one day someone discovers the intense heat of the attic has released all the glue joints. They consider it a problem. I consider it a gift. Flat parts are so much easier to refinish. And todays adhesives make re-assembly so much easier.

Go for it !!

Reactions: Royce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynetx
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller