Ansonia German Clock indentification

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by JS Groenenberg, Feb 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. JS Groenenberg

JS Groenenberg New Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Trying to get the name of the clock in the photo. Best photo I have.
    Robert H. Croswell from Greenfield Clock Shop helped me to get the photo from a wide photo I have with the clock in the photo. First photo is only to show how the etched glass and face of the clock looks like. From what my father told me the clock came with his great grandfather on his mother's side, to South Africa in circa 1880. It did strike softly on the quarter past, half and quarter to, but no chime was played, except for a sort of strike tune, alternating hard and soft strikes making up a sort of tune and then the hour strike after that.

Attached Files:

2. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Ansonia clock is the Chelsea model. Tran Duy Ly's Ansonia book shows a picture from a 1894 catalog. It was probably made several years before and after. It uses a standard 8 day American time and strike movement. Not sure what you mean about the chiming sequence, as it's only an hour and possibly half hour striking movement.

3. JS Groenenberg

JS Groenenberg New Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    No chime, only on the hour before it strikes the hour. It gives a softer strike on the quarters. Only that "dong, dong" sound, but softer and harder to produce a tune on the hour strike. Only soft strikes "dongs" on the quarters.

4. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your clock doesn't strike on quarters.

5. Fitzclan

Fitzclan Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Male
    Long Island, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JS,
    I'm not clear on what you are trying to say. Striking and chiming are not the same thing. Chiming refers to striking with different pitches or tones creating a melody. Soft and loud does not create a tune. A tune is a melody or tune created by a sequence of notes.
    Is the quarter strike the same at 15, 30 and 45 min after the hour?
    I can't see the photos in the format you posted. It would help if you could use the buttons at the bottom of the posting area ( next to the "post reply" button), to upload the pics so everyone could view them.

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would help if you show us pictures of the movement. Maybe the original one has been replaced with a more complicated one at some point in time?

Uhralt

7. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the picture that I extracted from the photo JS sent to me. It is my understanding that this is the only actual photo he has of this clock which is a part of a family gathering picture. The clock is currently not in his possession but he hopes to learn more about it and perhaps locate, and if possible recover it. What he seemed to be describing to me was a quarter striker but I was not aware that Ansonia produced a quarter strike steeple clock during this period. I suggested he post here as you guys seem to have answers to questions like this when no one else does. Did Ansonia make a quarter strike movement during this period?

RC.

steeple-clock.jpg

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the picture, RC. From what I can see, it appears to be either the Decorated Gothic (20" high) or the Small Decorated Gothic (16" high). The smaller version is shown in Tran from the 1886 catalogue, but the description is, curiously enough, apparently from the 1894 catalogue. According to that description, it came as a one-day time only or one-dat time and strike, with an alarm as an option. The larger version is shown from the 1883 catalogue, but, again, the description is taken from the 1894 catalogue. It came as a one-day or eight-day time and strike, alarm not mentioned.

I have never heard of an Ansonia quarter striker from that period. In fact, I cannot think of an Ansonia quarter striker such as JS describes from any period, but that might be due to my own ignorance. It would be good to see the movement.

9. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    OK, I lied. I found the following clocks in Tran's Ansonia book, which might be what JS is trying to describe, but I still do not think Ansonia used such a striking/chiming feature in the 1880' - 1890's.
    Home Chime.JPG