Clock in front of Trump Tower?

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Mr. Time, Mar 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The following is not a "political question" nor is it not meant to bring into subject of political reasoning or comments, it is simply more out of curiosity about a clock I've seen regularly on news tv when showing the front of Trump Tower.

Can anyone give any inside info about the particulars of the clock that sits out front of Trump Tower?

Is it a manual or electric clock?.....Who is the manufacture?.....etc.

Thanks in advance for any an all info.

Attached Files:

2. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It was apparently made by one of our frequent posters, Electric Time. I'm sure Thomas will be along to fill us in on the details of this clock. Is it in New York?

3. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes it is.

I've actually have seen the clock up close the last couple of times that I have visited New York city.

4. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 28, 2002
    It's a 4 Dial Howard street clock cast in metal, with the post made from the original patterns and the head a direct copy of an original that was carved in wood. This is the same clock in red at our factory in Medfield, Massachusetts.

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ElectricTime, thanks for the info.

While clicking on the website that you posted, the manufacturer even offers miniature replica's of their clocks which I think is real cool.

I'm going to buy one!

6. GregS

GregS Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does/did anyone produce something like Electric Time's miniature replica's except with mechanical movements?

7. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a good question.

There probably is one that was made (way back?) but I'm sure the cost $ for it is extremely high.

8. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mr. Time:

I just bought the four dial Howard miniature from Electric Time. It is very nice.

Frank

9. mldenison

mldenison Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What's the price for one of those? Is there a separate movement on each dial, each needing a battery?

10. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It has four separate movements, each using a SR626SW battery, according to the instructions. I have not disassembled it to confirm. As far as price goes, I don't think we are allowed to discuss prices on this forum.

Frank

11. mldenison

NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. I've emailed them about the price. I've got an older German 4 dialer tower clock that uses a quartz movement in the base that drives all 4 dials. Even though I'll get one of these, I was hoping it used the same drive mechanism.

12. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Almost 20 years ago, I was in the NAWCC gift shop and saw a mechanical miniature street clock on one of the glass shelves. As I walked toward it to take a look, Bill Keller stepped in front of me, took it off the shelf, and asked the clerk, "How much?" She told him $450. He said, "I'll take it." I never stood a chance.

Frank

13. mldenison

NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also saw that one in the gift shop. Alas, my wife was with me so I didn't buy it. They were in a Christmas flyer that S. LaRose sent out one year. I procrastinated and were sold out of them a few weeks after Christmas. I've been looking for many years for one. They were made by a company in Germany. They aren't mechanical but have a quartz movement in the base driven by a AA battery. A central shaft drives the four dials.

I located another version by the same company and bought it. Although I'm still hunting the 4 dial street version.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 Mr. Time, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
    So far this is the only miniature street [NOPARSE]clock[/NOPARSE] that is 'mechanical' that I've found (please see pictures below).
    But it does have it's draw back because it is only a one sided face clock. Stands approximately 8 1/2" inches high and the diameter of the face clock is approximately a little over 2" inches. Don't know who the manufacture is?

- - - Updated - - -

Midenison, that is a beautiful miniature [NOPARSE]clock[/NOPARSE]! :thumb:

15. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 28, 2002
    I've got a couple of the miniature Seth Thomas reproductions - they were made by a Western German company that I can't find, I think they went out of business.

Photo of a miniature reproduction and a full sized.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ElectricTime, thanks for posting and sharing those pictures.

Too bad that the company won't take it a step further and add your name, etc. to the top of that miniature clock for personal preference (such as like the Trump Tower clock has).