Clock Identifcation

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by owen.or, Sep 4, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your clock is typical of clocks made in New England circa 1830-1840. My books have no reference to the maker you mention. Many makers of this period (e.g.Ephraim Downs) made similar clocks. If you could provide a pic of the movement, the options could perhaps be narrowed by an expert in the features of these movements. Apparently the paper that would have been pasted to the inside back board is missing. This would have given the maker. If any of this paper remains, check to see what leters survive, even the name of the printer at the very bottom would be of assistance.

2. Andy Krietzer

Andy Krietzer Registered User

Feb 21, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doug,

The NAWCC sells a book titled "Eli Terry and the Connecticut Shelf Clock" which might help you figure out exactly what you have. If you go to this link: http://www.nawcc.org/giftshop/americart/bk_clk.htm or click here and look about half way down the list. You can also find this list on the NAWCC.org homepage, click on "gift shop" in the left column, and then "books".

The book is fully illustrated, and lists many makers and models of wood works shelf clocks. You will probably be able to find the exact movement in the book, and figure the time frame it was made. I think this book is underpriced, plus NAWCC members get a discount. Let us know what you have when you figure it out.

Andy.

Member of Chapters 168 and 185.

3. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Doug,

The 30 hr. wooden clock movements were made by a variety of individuals and small corporations, in
    fact they were important part of barter system
    in 1820-1840 because country did not have enough currency. For example, people bought and sold real estate for some cash and clock movements.

I could not find an L.M. Larkin listed in Spittler & Bailey as clockmaker, so he was possibly an assembler - purchased movements, cases, dials, parts, etc. and built up the clocks for sale or he purchased clocks from someone wholesale and put his own label on it.

Cog Counter's group looks at all the minute differences in movements between all the makers, and can look at a movement and say "wow, this is a Seth Thomas 2.22A movement" and they all really look alot alike to me. I appreciate their enthusiasm for wooden works clocks. We have two and I amazed that they really work and can keep good time.

Some clockmakers had mulitple partnership over their careers, so it is often detective work to find out who really made a clock and who was really a clockmaker.

Hope this helps ....

Andy Dervan
    Misc Board Moderator