Clock Glass replacement

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Styrofoam_Guy, Mar 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    I got this french clock a while back but the glass in the front door was cracked. I managed to pull the pin out of the hinge t take the door off but now I am stuck on how to get the glass out.
    Other information about the clock. I don't think the eagle was original to the clock.
    Photo 1: Overall view of the clock
    DSCN7763.JPG
    Photo 2: The front door of the clock
    DSCN7764.JPG
    Photo 3: The back side. There are no tabs or solder points to hold the glass in.
    DSCN7765.JPG
    Photo 4: Close up of the side of the door. Right where the step is there looks like a slight lip.
    DSCN7766.JPG

2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Usually, the bezel is heated to expand it and then it shrinks to capture the glass. Getting it out is easy - just break the glass.

Tom

3. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Heat the bezel evenly with a hot air gun or by boiling and use heavy gloves to remove the glass if you can. Once you have the glass out you can take careful, precise measurements for its replacement. To insert the replacement, just heat as before, pop the glass in and let the bezel cool/shrink around it. If you don't wish to try it, or if you can find the correctly fitted, beveled glass you might send the bezel to a business that specializes in fitting clock glass. There are a couple in the States.

See this thread for more details: Replacing glass on a French Clock

Dave T likes this.
  4. Styrofoam_Guy

NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Ah I was not sure if this was the correct method. I did stick the door assembly into a toaster oven and set it to 350F for about 20 minutes but nothing happened.

I will have to give it another try.

Thanks for the link.

5. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That sounds pretty hot although you can probably get it even hotter with one of those hot air guns. A member by the name of ClipClock, who passed away suddenly from some type of flu :(, reportedly was able to get glass in and out of her French bezel by just using boiling water. Whatever your method be careful...heavy gloves and safety glasses. If you can't get your cracked glass out, I don't see how you'll be able to get replacement glass in. If you decide to punt to a glass fitter let us know and we'll see who we might be able to recommend to you. I know of two in the States but maybe some of our other Canadian Members can recommend someone a little closer to home. :?|

6. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suspect that brass retaining ring will pry out. But what do I know? o_O

7. Styrofoam_Guy

NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Another club member is going to replace the glass for me. He says he has used the heat gun method in the past with no problems.

8. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good 'nuff.