Clock disassembly question

TonyR

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2005
Hi,

Got a multiple chime relatively modern grandfather movement with "Mason & Sullivan" stamped on the back. It looks German but I can't see any other maker's mark anywhere.
Anyway, I need some pointers on removing the chime assembly from the back of this movement. It has multiple chime tunes controlled by a selector level moving the chime mechanism in and out in the usual way. The chime assembly is held to the back of the movement by two nuts on threaded rods. The other pillars of the movement, as far as I can see, just fit into holes in the back plate and are only held in place by the pressure exerted on the whole assembly by the two threaded bolts.
Question: If I remove the bolts, does the whole assembly simply come away, after disengaging it from the chime selector lever? Won't the pillars that aren't held in place by bolts simply fall everywhere? If they will, what should I do to prevent this?
Your help, as always, is appreciated greatly.

Regards,

TonyR.

TonyR

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2005
Hi,

Got a multiple chime relatively modern grandfather movement with "Mason & Sullivan" stamped on the back. It looks German but I can't see any other maker's mark anywhere.
Anyway, I need some pointers on removing the chime assembly from the back of this movement. It has multiple chime tunes controlled by a selector level moving the chime mechanism in and out in the usual way. The chime assembly is held to the back of the movement by two nuts on threaded rods. The other pillars of the movement, as far as I can see, just fit into holes in the back plate and are only held in place by the pressure exerted on the whole assembly by the two threaded bolts.
Question: If I remove the bolts, does the whole assembly simply come away, after disengaging it from the chime selector lever? Won't the pillars that aren't held in place by bolts simply fall everywhere? If they will, what should I do to prevent this?
Your help, as always, is appreciated greatly.

Regards,

TonyR.

David Robertson

Jan 6, 2003
Country
Region
Tony,

There should be 4 (or 5) pillars holding the main clock plates together. There will be nuts on the front of the movement. You may be seeing that they have just been rivited into the back plate. Do you have the movement free of the case where you can see the front and back?

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Not sure why you wanna remove the chime assembly TONY but that's not important. Yeah - a pik would help. If it's typical and it probably is - simply let down the chimeside spring and remove what you want. Typically the chime assembly - hammers, drum, etc. (izzat what you mean?) are separate, external parts of the movement and can be removed without dismantling movement or fear of other stuff falling out. Da Duffer.

TonyR

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2005
The clock is a weight-driven grandfather. I need to take the chime assembly off for cleaning -- it's pretty grungy. The two pillars with the nuts hold the chime assembly to the back plate, they are nothing to do with the movement pillars. The other pillars associated with the chime movement just appear to be lodged in holes in the back plate with no sign of being riveted or anything else. I just want to know if the chime assembly is going to come to pieces rather rapidly if I undo those two nuts. I know it's got to come to pieces anyway, but I would like this to be under controlled conditions, as it were.

Regards,

TonyR.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Naw I don't think so TONY. Typically the hammer assembly is mounted as you say except removing the nut does not immediately remove everything. Typically there are two studs or pillars. Both ends are threaded. One end to movement plate other to retainer plate at distal end. When you remove the two nuts you'll lift and remove the retaining plate usually bushing also the pin drum. Then WATCH for washers and location of them. I usually mark the hammers so each goes back where they were. Then you'll lift hammers singly off center arbor and continue to your objective disassembly. You'll be in control of the entire process. Da Duffer

David Robertson

Jan 6, 2003
Country
Region
Tony..

Now I understand your situation. Yes.. the other "rods" are just supported in holes in the plate and will move around when you take it all out, probably. Make a sketch or take a photo and study it so you know how it all goes back together. You can tell by looking and wiggling things what will come completely free and what will still be attached to something else. For instance, the hammers probably have a collar on each end of their arbor that will keep them from spllling in the floor, but the arbor complete with the hammers will usually come off as a unit. Without knowing which movement you have I can't say for sure, but a little study of the assembly and wiggling things once you start loosening things will tell you for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skaizun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller