Clock cleaning

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by LaBounty, Nov 9, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  2. Chuck Woolsey

Chuck Woolsey Registered User

Apr 14, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Rdudley,
    I use a cleaning solution made up of chemicals such as oleic acid, acetone, ammonium hydroxide and dish soap. The mixture is rather strong and requires protective gloves and eye protection but it works very well for cleaning clocks. I will gladly e-mail you the recipe amounts if you are interested.
    Chuck.
    N.A.W.C.C. 155704

[This message has been edited by Chuck Woolsey (edited 11-09-2002).]

3. Len Lataille

Len Lataille Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Horolene is probably a British product, as Laurie Penman's books were printed in England. I dont know the equivalent, here in the US.
    Keep in mind there is a controversy as to the safety of using ammoniated solutions to clean clocks.

4. Bob Vasquez

Bob Vasquez Guest

For an 11 qt ultrasonic cleaner I mix 1.5 cups of oleic acid (start with a qt that you buy at local chemical store) with the same of acetone, in this order, then slowing, while mixing constantly add two bottles(I think they are about 60 oz bottles) of Parsons lemon ammonia. Then fill with water. Before I had an ultrasonic, I would soak the movement over night in a plastic bucket then work the plates and parts with a brush with gloves on. You may want to post were you live and ask for local help. Also, using ammonia based cleaners is controversial, something about stress fractures on the brass, oh well this has been around 100 years. I rinse the parts in hot water and place in the dryer. I made the dryer, basically a wooden box with a metal shelf inside, drilled hole in top and dropped in a hair dryer. For the dryer make sure there is a way for the evaporting mositure to escape. I drilled weep holes in the door. My cleaner baskets are plastic ones that you buy at Walmart with lots of holes. Bob V.

5. Olic Acid work's very well I have used it for over one year now.

------------------