• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Clock chime went insane

bsg

Mar 16, 2020
Country
Region
Hi,

I restored and had this clock for a couple of years, and now all of a sudden the quarter chime will not stop. We did just switch back from daylight savings, so I moved hands backwards an hour. Did I mess it up by doing this? Here is a video:

Thanks in advance,
Stas.

bsg

Mar 16, 2020
Country
Region
Also,

I just noticed this piece of metal laying at the bottom of the case. Am I right to assume that this was attached to a wheel somewhere as a stop, and now it is broken and that's why melody keeps running?

Still, did it break due to me moving hands backwards, or just due to age?

And then, how do I fi it?

Sorry for sounding like an idiot.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Yes, It is the stop pin for the chime. It goes on the cam on the top right. The small round one with the hook above it. You can probably find one at the supply store.

bsg

Mar 16, 2020
Country
Region
Thanks!

So was it due to me moving hands backwards, or just time?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It broke off the back of the chime stop disc and probably just coincidence.

That's the old style stop disc and no longer available (as a new part) but the old one can be repaired by removing the rest of the broken pin and replacing it with a small tapered steel pin. Filing the leading face of the new pin flat, radial to the shaft, will make for good action.

This is a very common repair with lots of prior post. Search 'repairing Hermle chime stop disc'. Willie X

Reactions: disciple_dan

bsg

Mar 16, 2020
Country
Region
Does the pin have to be hardened, or can I make it out of e.g. filed down small nail?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It needs to be slightly tapered and soft steel. Regular tapered clock pins are good. Willie X

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
I'm not sure this will fit yours but it is all brass. No pin to break off.
Hermle Chime Stop.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That's a later design and won't fit the shaft. Old junkers are everywhere, so it shouldn't be to difficult to find a good replacement. Repair is a good option but not especially easy. Willie X

Reactions: disciple_dan

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Turning it backward may not have caused the break, but for me turning backward is just a recipe for disaster down the road. Even when the manufacturer says to do it I don't recommend it.
My method in Autumn is to set a timer for one hour, go through my clocks in order, stopping each one. One hour later I start them again in the same order. Works out pretty well with only a few seconds one way or the other in time change.

bsg

Mar 16, 2020
Country
Region
Got a junker of ebay, took a part from it, replaced and it seems to work just fine. I was afraid there is a particular orientation on the axis, but apparently it is self-regulating, so doesn't seem to matter. Thanks a lot for the help!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
There is, but maybe you got lucky. :)
Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pozzen
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit