Clock Case

CBRCharlie

Jan 18, 2021
Country
I have been reading about the best way to give a couple of clock cases a little shine. They aren't real damage or bad veneer or anything just a couple of good scuffs and stuff. I have been thiniking about using KOTTON KLENSER ANTIQUE WOOD PRESERVATIVE POLISH with beeswax and lemon oil. These cases are walnut. Again just to clean them up some and give a shine. The question I have maybe someone can answer if you have used it is ? What does it smell like ? Some people in my household are very sensitive to smells. Does it smell like lemon ? Like Denatured alcohol ? Like mineral spirits ? Just curious on any feedback you can give me .

Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: JT88

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
Kotton Klenser does have a bit of an odor similar to Gojo hand cleaner. Clean it outside or in the garage. After it has dried, I'll use an orange oil. This puts a nice sheen back on the case. I have not tried the formula you mentioned. For the sensitive ones in your family, try it first on a scrap board before bringing it inside.

CBRCharlie

Jan 18, 2021
Country
Kotton Klenser does have a bit of an odor similar to Gojo hand cleaner. Clean it outside or in the garage. After it has dried, I'll use an orange oil. This puts a nice sheen back on the case. I have not tried the formula you mentioned. For the sensitive ones in your family, try it first on a scrap board before bringing it inside.
Just curious do you have a brand or something you could recommend for the "Orange Oil" ? Can I use that as a replacement for the Kotton Klenser ?

CBRCharlie

Jan 18, 2021
Country
Thanks much for the info. There is an antique store right around the corner from work that carries these products. I will give them a try.

Clocknutter

Mar 15, 2021
Country
I've had good success using Formby's "Build-up Remover" followed by Formby's "Lemon Oil Treatment".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdminter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre