Clock Case Design Software - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Rich Newman, Aug 6, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rich Newman

Rich Newman Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Illinois
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm thinking about building a case to house an old tall case movement that I have. I have an idea regarding the case design I would like to build. Has anyone come across an easy and relatively inexpensive software package to help define and layout the design of the case? I’m thinking that something must exist in the hobby furniture building arena but I’m open to any suggestions. Thanks, Rich

2. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Rich.
    I am not aware of any special, easy-to use packages that are particularly geared towards furniture or clock cases.
    It sounds like you are looking for a CAD program and CAD (Computer Aided Design) is notorious for having a steep learning curve. My personal preference is Draftsight. It is a free Autocad clone that does 2D drawings. I have seen some amazing 3D drawings done with Sketchup that is supposed to be easy to learn and also free. I never got the hang of it though.
    Good luck on your search.
    Allan

3. Rich Newman

Rich Newman Chair

Apr 6, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Illinois
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Allan, thanks for the tip. I think I'll give Draftsight a try and see if I can pick up the learning curve quickly. Regards, Rich

4. Rich Newman

Rich Newman Chair

Apr 6, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Illinois
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Davis Case.jpg

In the end, I decided to just use old fashion pencil and paper for the concept and to estimate materials, then adjusted for look & feel as I went. Put on a couple of coats of varnish just last weekend and hung it up. The posted frame movement was made by John Davis of Windsor in about 1680 and has a wonderful all-engraved dial. The case is of oak and constructed with pegs & glue. I used a router for the hood and door molding but filed out the bracket scrolls by hand. Difficult to see in the picture, but the original (single) hand is silvered so I decided to make a silver door clasp using a scrap silver pocket watch pair case. Good fun.

5. GregS

GregS Registered User

Sep 4, 2008
    Male
    Machesney Park, Illinois
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Rich, It looks real nice. Thanks for sharing!

6. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Rich, nice way to save an old homeless movement from the parts bin. I was working on what is likely a somewhat similar movement last weekend, in an old lantern clock. Always amazes me how well built these old movements are.

7. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nicely done.
    When I am "designing" a clock case I try to get a piece of cardboard large enough to do a full size drawing. I use different colors to identify different dimensions-especially in the seatboard mount and dial mask. Seems to help in the long run.
    Again nicely done.
    tom