• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Clock at auction

Joecephus

Mar 26, 2021
Country
Anyone have any info on what this clock is? It's at a local auction this weekend. They only have this one picture and the only thing the sale bill says is "antique clock" Thanks!

Screenshot_20210603-152224~2.png

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It doesn't look like anything to write home about but it might deserve a closer investigation?
Willie X

Last edited:

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
30 hr wood works, busted off splat at top. Lower glass with lithograph is wrong. Can't see how much stenciling is left on the columns. Without knowing the label information it can only be judged on what we see wrong about it. In good shape they may bring $100 and up a bit. There are some exceptionally rare versions which it is highly unlikely to be....they can bring more. But, assuming the movement is good and the dial is good and it all fits, you are generally looking at the value of the parts alone. Sorry, but that is pretty accurate assessment.

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
  • Links or references to active sales or auctions will be removed. Links or references to completed sales and auctions are permitted for discussion.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Joecephus - can i welcome you and also remind that the rules prohibit discussions of active auctions? :)

if it were me, i would ask the seller to provide more photos... .of the insides, weights, pendulum, label, etc... , and (if they're not comfortable pulling the hands and dial) a photo up behind the dial to at least see part of the movement to get an idea of what's there.

there are lots of antique clocks for sale... it comes down to individual tastes, what resonates with you, etc. i'm into being able to see swinging pendulums (particularly seconds beating wall mounted and jewelers regulators) or at least pendulum bobs (banjo clocks). YMMV.

Joecephus

Mar 26, 2021
Country
Joecephus - can i welcome you and also remind that the rules prohibit discussions of active auctions?
:)

Sorry, I didn't know about that rule. I won't let it happen again. I just thought I might get an idea of how much to spend on the clock. I will get to check it out myself and then decide if I want to bid on it because this is a local "in person" estate auction being held at the deceased persons home. And let it be known that I never disclosed the location of the auction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joecephus

Mar 26, 2021
Country
  • Links or references to active sales or auctions will be removed. Links or references to completed sales and auctions are permitted for discussion.
Sorry, I didn't know about this rule. It won't happen again. However, that doesn't mean I understand it. Because I never posted a link to the auction or even stated where the auction is being held.

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Hi Joecephus, as soon as you posted " It's at a local auction this weekend", you referenced it was at auction. That's the bit that contravened the rule. I hope that explains it?

Last edited:

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Out of curiosity, would any of the following wording be acceptable?

1. "The following clock is available for purchase locally ....."

2. "I have the opportunity to purchase the following clock..."

3. "I have the opportunity to acquire the following clock and I'm curious about it's value....."

Based upon the forum rule verbage posted in post #4 in this thread, I would assume statement 1 is not acceptable as "available for purchase" indicates a sale offering. Statement 2 is a little "grayer," but "purchase" indicates a sale, too. Statement 3 would seem to be a viable "workaround," as long as permission was given by the clock's current owner for any pics posted.

I understand why that forum rule is in place...probably for much fhe same reasons that we are not permitted to offer items for sale via the forum; to avoid ill-will among members, and to guard against perceived loss of revenue to NAWCC and full-time professional high end collectors and repair folks.

I personally view this as an unfortunate rule. Sage commentary on value and authenticity prior to purchase, offered willingly by those with extensive knowledge and experience, would be a tremendous help to others and a kindness that would help meet one of (if not THE) most important goals of the NAWCC; increasing the appeal of clock/watch collecting and bringing more people into this world. A person who gets stung on a bad/misrepresented purchasd, especially early on, is far less likely to remain interested in the pursuit. If we were allowed to ask for and receive assistance in assessing potential purchases, as we are for repair techniques, that can only strengthen our "community." The only people harmed by an open exchange of valuation assessment would be charlatans who misrepresent or severely over-value their offerings.

Unfortunately, as has been stated in other threads, legal issues may arise wherein said charlatans may end up suing NAWCC for statements made about their offerings. It is a sad state of affairs when less than honest people use the legal system to prevent honest discourse. I truly wish I had an answer for THAT issue.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I understand why that forum rule is in place...probably for much fhe same reasons that we are not permitted to offer items for sale via the forum; to avoid ill-will among members, and to guard against perceived loss of revenue to NAWCC and full-time professional high end collectors and repair folks.
The above is not the reason.

This is the reason:

legal issues may arise wherein said charlatans may end up suing NAWCC for statements made about their offerings.
This is not theoreticaI. It has already happened to the NAWCC.

The NAWCC is confident that they would not lose any lawsuits on the issue, but the legal fees to defend them, would be substantial.

Sage commentary on value and authenticity prior to purchase, offered willingly by those with extensive knowledge and experience, would be a tremendous help to others and a kindness
Admirable thought, but not realistic. The amount of well thought responses would be overwhelmed by one sentence statements by those without "extensive knowledge and experience" that will attract law suits and the large legal fees.

Regards.

Joecephus

Mar 26, 2021
Country
Hi Joecephus, as soon as you posted " It's at a local auction this weekend", you referenced it was at auction. That's the bit that contravened the rule. I hope that explains it?
Yes I understand why that would break the rule. However I never gave a clue as to the location the sale is being held at. Too bad you have this rule, because as " MuseChaser" posted, it would be very helpful to someone considering buying a clock to get the opinions of the experts on here.

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
If you want to have a discussion go here:

or here:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
However I never gave a clue as to the location the sale is being held at.
I am surprised that reference to a "local auction", with no indication from you as to where you live (other than somewhere in the U.S.) would violate the rules.

If memory serves me correctly, this type of request with such vagueness as to the auction, has been allowed before.

There are copyright issues that we must be aware of (oh those pesky laws that can bite you in the you know what) and many times we remind posters of the need to receive permission from the seller or auction house to use their pictures, but a vauge reference to an auction, I thought was allowable.

Regards.

Reactions: MuseChaser

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
The above is not the reason.

This is the reason:

This is not theoreticaI. It has already happened to the NAWCC.

The NAWCC is confident that they would not lose any lawsuits on the issue, but the legal fees to defend them, would be substantial.

Admirable thought, but not realistic. The amount of well thought responses would be overwhelmed by one sentence statements by those without "extensive knowledge and experience" that will attract law suits and the large legal fees.

Regards.
I appreciate the responses and thoughts. I DO understand the rationale behind the rule... mostly, I was just bemoaning the necessity for its existence.

If you want to have a discussion go here:

Facebook Groups

or here:

Hmmmm...Could have sworn this was a forum for discussions, maybe due to the heading, "General Clock Discussions." There is a significant portion of NAWCC membership, and people in general, that are conscientious Facebook avoiders/abstainers, and I am among them. If my thoughts were out of place or unwelcome, I will of course adhere to any directives by the moderators.

Last edited:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I am a bit confused on the rules as they apply to this thread.

Perhaps a moderator can address my questions.

(1)

Links or references to active sales or auctions will be removed. Links or references to completed sales and auctions are permitted for discussion.
The quote that Dean provided can be interpreted in the following manner:

We are aware of "links" to active sales or auctions. This is not at issue.

But I interpret "reference" to active auctions in the following manner:

"This clock is at auction by Sothebys (or ebay or Schmitt)" - but no link is provided. Clearly this would violate the rules. But to reference some unnamed auction somewhere in the world does not, in my opinion, violate the spirit of the rule.

Please explain.

(2)

If the OP's post violated the rules, why was it not removed? Or, more importantly, why were the answers, which could be interpreted as detrimetal to the seller, not removed?

Please explain.

Thanks and regards.

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
I appreciate the responses and thoughts. I DO understand the rationale behind the rule... mostly, I was just bemoaning the necessity for its existence.

Hmmmm...Could have sworn this was a forum for discussions, maybe due to the heading, "General Clock Discussions." There is a significant portion of NAWCC membership, and people in general, that are conscientious Facebook avoiders/abstainers, and I am among them. If my thoughts were out of place or unwelcome, I will of course adhere to any directives by the moderators.
I do not like Facebook; yet I joined and did not and will not give them any information as to who I am, etc.

However, I do follow some of the clock forums. Interesting as to what you learn, both good and bad.

Reactions: Bruce Alexander

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
I do not like Facebook; yet I joined and did not and will not give them any information as to who I am, etc.

However, I do follow some of the clock forums. Interesting as to what you learn, both good and bad.
Dick, thanks for following up. In hindsight, I may owe you an apology. I took your earlier reply to me beginning with, "If you want to have a discussion..." etc., to mean that my thoughts on the issue weren't welcome here. After gaining a bit of context aided by your second reply, you may have just been suggesting a venue that welcomed discussions about valuations on current auctions and prospective purchases. If that is the case, then I do, indeed, apologize and feel quite bad about the misunderstanding.

My personal thoughts on Facebook won't allow me to patronize it in anyway, shape or form, unfortunately. I do understand that, even though it's against Facebook policy, there are ways to use it and still remain relatively anonymous and I don't fault anyone for making their own decisions as to whether to fully engage with Facebook and embrace its policies, skirt their policies and engage on a limited basis, or just remain completely away from it all-together.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
We can all use google. If you say a clock is for sale I'm sure if it is on the net it can be found. When a clock appears in an auction listing I often google it to see if it sold before.

Reactions: leeinv66

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
But I interpret "reference" to active auctions in the following manner:
The Mod / Admin team have discussions about the rules regularly. The interpretation we apply in the forums is a result of those discussions. We apply team interpretations when we moderate, not our personal view of the rule.

If the OP's post violated the rules, why was it not removed? Or, more importantly, why were the answers, which could be interpreted as detrimetal to the seller, not removed?
In the normal course of events this thread would have been removed and the OP would have been notified. However, given the amount of replies I felt the best thing to do was to use the post as a learning tool. However, the thread has now gone totally off topic and I am currently reconsidering that choice.

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Hard to see what's so hard to understand and why so many want to argue about it.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The Mod / Admin team have discussions about the rules regularly. The interpretation we apply in the forums is a result of those discussions. We apply team interpretations when we moderate, not our personal view of the rule.

In the normal course of events this thread would have been removed and the OP would have been notified. However, given the amount of replies I felt the best thing to do was to use the post as a learning tool. However, the thread has now gone totally off topic and I am currently reconsidering that choice.
Thank you for the explanation, Peter.

Regards.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country

I know when I have strayed, it's immediately removed and no apparent consideration of the # of replies or using it as a "teaching tool". There have even been subsequent threats of more significant action.

RM

Joecephus

Mar 26, 2021
Country
Ok, auction is a thing of the past. This is the clock. It was in rough condition, in my opinion. It brought $35.

IMG_20210605_101003263_HDR.jpg IMG_20210605_100957193_HDR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwtillery
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-