Clock Appraisers

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by jacks61fd, Sep 1, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin go to ebay.com and search for the type of clocks you have and see what they are selling for

2. David B Pendley

David B Pendley Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I asked the same question to the LARC at NAWCC headquarters and was informed that the only appraisals recognized by the IRS were the certifed Personal Apprasiors listed in yellow pages. Ebay is a great source for market value. Might check your local phone book and BBB for suggestions.

------------------
    David B Pendley, NAWCC 134028, AWI 30285, CLOCKSMITHS

3. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can check your local library or obtain the Tran Duy Ly books for value from Arlington Books. You can locate Arlington books on the internet. These books provide full pictures and circa identification. It also comes with a price guide that can be updated every few years. The books are not cheap but they are probaly cheaper than a formal appraisal if you are wanting a general idea.

I have the one for Ansonia and Waterbury. I am sure there is one for New Haven. I am not a New Haven fan so I do not have that book.

Tran Duy Ly also has books on Gilbert, Ingraham, Welch, Gustav Becker, and Seth Thomas that I am aware of. He has two versions of American clocks in gerneral and a book on Calendar Clocks.

If you are going to collect you need these publications along with the NAWCC Bulletins in your library. Once you obtain the Tran Duy Ly books the pricing updates are cheap.

4. Antigue2

Antigue2 Guest

E-Bay to value something? Especially an antigue clock - BULL, I've bought many a clock on e-bay for a "pittance" of their value. If you wanna sell'em for nothing go to e-bay - HAVE THEM APPRAISED by a local clock repairer who has been in business for some years - or put the picture of each one on the NAWCC web - DON'T GO TO E-BAY!

5. Antigue2

Antigue2 Guest

OK! OK! I can see it now - we don't value clocks - BUT at least you can look and give an opinion as to it's age, antiguity, and I'm one who would like to see the pictures of them - just slip you e-mail address in their somewhere.

6. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see many clocks on EBAY that appear to sell for too much and others that sell for too little. But this can only be a guess, as the only way to tell is to examine the clock with your own hands. Checking for originality, damage and general appearance, things you can't do with pictures on EBAY. Trans books are a help, but again depends on things I listed above.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC #35863

7. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was under the impression that Kevin was looking for a general idea. I think that the Tran Duy Ly books will provide him with that.

A formal appraisal must be done by a professional and paid for to be official.

It is kind of interesting how things go on eBay. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas items seem to go cheaper. After the first of the year things seem to go higher. Just an observation. If I were a seller I would not list a clock or watch during the Thanksgiving week. Too many buyers either entertaining or traveling.

Of course the way the economy is going there might be a lot of bargains to be had by those that have a job and money.

8. Len Lataille

Len Lataille Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    To be acceptable, in general an appraisal must be done by a licensed individual. However, anyone that has any idea of the value of clocks and has research material, such as catalogs and access to the internet can give an "Opinion of Value". I did one not long ago to help settle an estate. I gave my credentials and the sources for my opinion. I gave the value a range, basing the range on the variable factors, such as location in the country, current market for this particular type of clock, condition of the case and movement, and whether any restoration was required. I also gave an estimate on the costs of restoration. The executor of the estate was satisfied as was the probate court. And yes, I did charge for the opinion of value. In this case, the executor was satisfied with an oral opinion, as this was a lower fee. As for values from eBay, I would simply take several samples and average the values. Whether it's an insurance company or estate, nobody expects the exact value of a piece. That can only be determined by actually selling it.

Len