Electric WW Click repair help

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by shutterbug, May 10, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a cheap Chinese made pocket watch. The click spring is missing, and I'd like some help fabricating one. It's quite small, and I'm not sure how it mounts, what it looks like, or where it contacts the click. I'm a clock guy, not a watch guy. Help me out! :)

Attached Files:

2. Cary Hurt

Cary Hurt Registered User

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shutterbug,

It's likely a half round, or omega-shaped spring that lies around the screw, with one end engaging a stud on the bottom of the click, and the other anchoring against the wall of the well, or in a machined groove. They aren't terribly complex, and I would imagine it would be easier to adapt one than to make a new one, if we can figure out the basic shape. I have a couple of boxes of loose ones, and will happily send you some if we can get close to the needed dimensions.

If you can remove the click and take a picture of the underside, we may be able to figure it out.

I'm also moving this post to the watch repair forum for better exposure.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks! I pulled the click out, and turned it over ... smooth like glass. No bumps, divots - nothing. The hole dimension is right at 5mm, and I do note a slot cut into the side of the wall. Any help? The bottom looks pretty much like the top, so I didn't photograph it. :)

4. Cary Hurt

Cary Hurt Registered User

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The click spring might then be a simple horseshoe or omega with one end turned up to press against the edge of the click.

We'll see if anyone else has ideas, and I'll see if I can find something that looks like what they suggest.