• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Electric WW Clearance between dial and Day/Date ring

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
Quartz watches aren't my forte, but when clients think of you as the "Watch & Clock" repair person, it's tough to say no. The original Hamilton quartz movement went swimming and I bought a replacement. However, the original movement was constructed with a recessed Day/Date ring providing clearance when the dial was installed. But, the replacement movement has the day/date ring standing proud, requiring the dial to "float" on the two dial feet in order to provide clearance between the day/date ring and the underside of the dial. I'm not comfortable with this setup, fearing normal stem operations might place too much pressure on the dial feet, causing thenm to snap. Assuming contact between the day/date ring and dial underside is to be avoided, how do you provide adequate clearance when the day/date ring is on top of the movement?

Thank You,

Bill

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
Quartz watches aren't my forte, but when clients think of you as the "Watch & Clock" repair person, it's tough to say no. The original Hamilton quartz movement went swimming and I bought a replacement. However, the original movement was constructed with a recessed Day/Date ring providing clearance when the dial was installed. But, the replacement movement has the day/date ring standing proud, requiring the dial to "float" on the two dial feet in order to provide clearance between the day/date ring and the underside of the dial. I'm not comfortable with this setup, fearing normal stem operations might place too much pressure on the dial feet, causing thenm to snap. Assuming contact between the day/date ring and dial underside is to be avoided, how do you provide adequate clearance when the day/date ring is on top of the movement?

Thank You,

Bill

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Bill,

Some movements are supplied with a thin, narrow spacer ring which sits around the outer edge of the pillar plate with "notches" on the inner edge to accomodate the dial feet. I suspect you are missing one of these.

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
Doug...you're correct! The original movement to the watch had this ring. I'll go back to the vendor to see if they can supply a higher grade movement with the ring. Thanks again,

Bill

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
They say confession is good for the soul...After calling the vendor to ask about the needed ring, the helpful salesperson stated "this movement includes a ring". I assured her my movement did not have a ring. She politely explained it's located under the foam packing material. Sure enough, it was there.:rolleyes:

Bill

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Bill,

If the replacement movement is the same calibre as the one you are replacing, the spacer from the original movement would have fitted. You've learned to always check the packaging. If the replacement movement is of a different calibre, it's a good thing you hadn't turfed the spacer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gtkelle
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-