Cleaning The Dial On A Lever Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by tliette, Aug 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tliette

tliette Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2014
    #1 tliette, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    I have just acquired a Seth Thomas lever clock and the dial on it is dirty. I don't know how it got that dirty except maybe years of being in a dirty atmosphere and nobody taking the time to keep it clean, I guess. The dial is a paper-like material on a dial pan but it feels like it has a plastic feel to it. I've cleaned metal and porcelain dials before but none like this. Bottom line is I'd rather leave it as is than to ruin what I feel may be the original dial.

If there's something that is a good choice I'm willing to try it. I'm looking for something to clean the dial on this lever clock without affecting the paper like material that is the dial. I'm also attaching a couple of photos to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
    Ted