Cleaning Silvered Dial

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by sylvester12, Jul 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sylvester12

sylvester12 Registered User

Oct 17, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Is there a way to clean a tarnished silver dial without taking the black numbers or lettering off the dial.

2. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As with most things... It depends.
    Without knowing quite a bit more, it won't be possible to answer your question.
    What kind of clock and how is the black applied. Could we get some pictures?
    If there is no clear coating on the dial and the numbers are wax-filled engravings that aren't crazed or cracked, most silver cleaners will work fine. Just go lightly.
    I like a light application of Tarn-X followed by a thorough wiping with a rag lightly whetted with denatured alcohol and then a coat of carnuba wax to seal it.

Always test to be sure you won't do any unforseen damage.

3. sylvester12

Oct 17, 2015
    Country Flag:
    It's a Gilbert banjo clock made sometime after 1927. I tried a small spot with silver cleaner but didn't go near the black numbers etc. I would imagine the black is painted but not sure, here's pictures of the dial.

DSC04599.JPG DSC04600.JPG

4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Bruce Alexander, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    A Cream of Tartar paste applied with gentle finger pressure or a soft cloth and water will safely clean and brighten a silvered dial. I wouldn't use any type of polish or even a very mild abrasive. Chances are you'll lose the "frosted" silver finish if you go that route.

Dave T and sylvester12 like this.
  5. sylvester12

Oct 17, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Thanks it turned out really good, great tip. I'll leave it like it is I don't want to press my luck.

DSC04666.JPG DSC04667.JPG

Dave T likes this.
  6. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks good, nice clock! Thanks for sharing.

sylvester12 likes this.
  7. Marvin Raulston

NAWCC Member

May 23, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Appreciate the above info, and nice that it was on a recent post. I have (according to one Lenzkirch serial number listing) a late 1854 Lenzkirch 'open well' in excellent condition which I've had hanging for almost 40 years. It's now time for me to clean the case, the movement, get her up and runnin' and enjoy her for my few remaining years. But we all know that one's impression of a clock is first the "overall picture" and then a look at the face. This face has a pretty dark silvered chapter ring.
    I've read here several suggestions for cleaning a silvered dial. None seemed to fit my quest as the above. First I've heard of wax-filled numbers but the numbers and other black marks are in pretty good shape and would really not want to mess them up attempting to clean that 'silver.' Any further thoughts/suggestions/hints other than those above? Many thanks.

Lenz Chapter Ring.JPG Lenz.JPG Lenz80436.JPG

8. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This will help.