Cleaning/polishing my clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by paddy007, Sep 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. paddy007

paddy007 Registered User

Apr 1, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I found a schatz 400 day clock in a shed I was cleaning. The base got alot of patina on it from the dirt it was sitting in. What is the best way to clean it without scratching it? I have heard that there is an ammonia solution that can be used. How is it made? Thanks for any help.

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Pictures would be good but you should be aware that if it is a brass finish then not much can be done until all the metal is stripped back to bare metal. The laquer must all be removed before polishing.

3. Ally

Ally Registered User

May 30, 2014
    Hi.......It's now September so you have probably sorted it by now? If it is/was as bad as you suggest my guess is there is no lacquer left. Lacquer can be easily and cheaply removed by soaking in a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. I used to use Brasso (a UK product) to polish, but it leaves corrosive residue, though waxing removes any residue. I now use the USA, MAAS metal polish which is excellent and has the bonus that you can wash it off your hands with soap and water. Cleaning the polish residue from the brass may be a problem if you intend re-lacquering, but I cheat and polish with Renaissance micro-crystalline wax polish (as used in museums) which both removes residual metal polish and brass particles and resists tarnishing for years. If the base is very badly tarnished then fine 'Scotchbrite' or wire wool may be used with the MAAS to cut back to bare metal, finishing with a soft cloth and MAAS.

4. paddy007

paddy007 Registered User

Apr 1, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank for the information! I will have to try some of these ideas.
    Paddy

5. TQ60

TQ60 Registered User

Sep 15, 2016
    Madera CA
    Country Flag:
    Try never dull as it is raw cotton with magic juice and it does wonders for polishing things.

Consider any brass looking item to be very thin brass plate regardless of actual as this keeps you from getting too aggressive.

If lacquered try acetone, alcohol or other handy solvents to cut the lacquer or clear coat.

Do not use and rags or abrasive tools of any kind at first.

Harbor freight 1 inch wide chip brush cut short allows for good scrubbing without scratching.

Pour solvent into bowl and dip with brush and scrub the surface.

When finish is removed then never dull or bon ami can be used to polish but use the mildest possible or even tooth paste as any abrasive will leave scratches matching the grit that need to be polished with finer stuff.