Cleaning Plastic Domes

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Specifically, is there a way to get rid of the scratches in these domes without contributing to more scratches or hazing in the surface?

Thanks...Kurt

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
I've used Meguiar's Mirror Glaze in the past to decent effect.
I'd think all of these headlight restoration products on the market might be okay, as well, but have never tried them on a dome.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Martin -

Good ideas. I'll see about finding something like that and trying it on an area near the bottom of some of my domes.

Kurt

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Hmmm...and I have some Amazon cash sitting there burning a hole!! Nutjob

Kurt

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Sure, that's possible, Tinker. I don't have a huge supply of glass domes and am not sure I want to spend the $20-30 it takes to buy something from Timesavers, which I have done before. I just picked up an S. Haller for $5 at the convention...and it runs! I figure if I can spend a little time on the plastic dome, it might be more attractive down the line. I have some domes which are original, thick glass...I'm not using those on this clock!

Kurt

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
Replace them with glass.
Tinker Dwight
Some day, those plastic domes will be preferred for the clocks that came with them.
That said, all of my plastic domes are on a shelf in the garage or only used while I'm testing a clock for the shop I contract with.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Finding a quartz clock with a glass dome is a real bonus, if the clock is under $5.00 as they often are at the thrift shops.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Yup, Harold, that works. BTDT. Actually I was needing to fix a quartz clock and worked through the electronics on another part of the forum. Not being able to really fix it, I found a quartz clock at the Goodwill store with the same electronics PLUS a glass dome. Win-Win!!

Kurt

BLKBEARD

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2016
CT
sailorsandsettlersantiques.com
Country
Region
​A new plastic glass dome on fleabay is cheaper than a headlight restoration kit.

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
I've used Autosol metal polish to deal with fine, hazy scratches on plastic domes.

flatlander10

Mar 8, 2011
For cleaning, ordinary dish soap and dry with micro fiber cloth.
If you simply want to hide or disguise the scratches, what works for me is Pledge furniture polish.
Work well with old dashboard bezel's in your old car as well.
Doesn't remove the fine scratches but seems to fill the fine scratches to make them barely noticeable.

marylander

Sep 9, 2008
Maryland
Country
Region
I use tooth paste to take out scratches on the plastic watch glass. I think the same can be used for plastic dome.
Ming

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicobirdie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent