Cleaning Pivot Files

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by gordon, Aug 29, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gordon

gordon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Retired from GM engineering labs.
    Canton, Michigan 48187
    Country Flag:
    Hello All

I am looking for a method to clean pivot files.

With the fine teeth on a pivot file the file card/brush will not do the job.

Gordon

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What about putting them in a ultrasonic if you have one. Or Use brake cleaner and then a steel brush on them after.

3. gordon

gordon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Canton, Michigan 48187
    Country Flag:
    Hello Kevin

Thank you for the reply.

Yes i do have a ultrasonic cleaner I can put them in. I will give that a try and see what happens.

Gordon

4. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: the ultrasonic. It almost goes without saying- DO NOT use water based solution!

5. gordon

gordon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Canton, Michigan 48187
    Country Flag:
    Hello Doug Sinclair

Thank you for the reply.

I kind of figured that water based solutions would be a problem. I will have to look for something else that is cheep.

I see their are other post on the subject that I will be reading.

Gordon

6. dickstorer

dickstorer Registered User

Oct 19, 2010
    Male
    Retired Military
    Hampton, Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mr. Sinclair, what happens if I do use water based cleaner?

7. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just don't! The cutting surface of a pivoting file is so fine, the file would be destroyed in no time, in water based solution! Ultrasonic machines are great, but they aren't magical. The exposure time in the tank required to clean the file would be sufficient to allow for water to rust the surface. My pivoting files are double-ended. Pivoting file on one end, and burnishing tool on the other. Rust would render either tool useless! Beyond that, I have absolutely NO faith whatsoever in the cleaning capabilities of water based solutions.

8. technitype

technitype Registered User

Feb 19, 2012
    Electro-mechanical technician
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Have you tried using compressed air point-blank on the file?

9. James Foster

James Foster Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    Clockmaker @ Your Time Clock Repair
    East TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gordon
    As I cleaned my pivot file today I remembered reading your post sometime back and thought I'd share what works for me. I took a large caliber rifle cartridge and mashed the small end flat creating a comb with a handle. I keep the file card and the cartridge handy when polishing and burnishing pivots. I use the the flat end of the cartridge perpendicular to the flutes of the file and comb the debris that fills the area between the flutes. Then take the file and brush it on the card file along the flutes clearing the debris. Again, it works for me.

IMG_0318.jpg

10. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A Fiberglas brush such as is used for erasing rust on steel,parts might also come in handy. I've never tried it, but it might be worth a try.

11. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like a good idea. Far less likely to damage the fine teeth than a steel brush!

12. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually glass is harder than hardened steel, even in fiber form. It is a good method that I use when needed, but you may want to try a brass scratch brush first. Another much more tedious method is to use an Exacto knife tip, run parallel to the teeth at an angle that runs along the bottom of the space between teeth without hitting the teeth edges. It will remove the small pin blobs that seem to resist all other methods.

13. R.G.B.

R.G.B. Registered User

Feb 27, 2009
    Photographer
    Vancouver B.C.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use the old fashioned pick method. Takes a while but does the job. (make a fine point and pick each glob off)

14. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I'd say get a piece of brass or copper and run it parallel with the teeth. Copper will probably work better... a piece of old plumbing copper will do. Do as one of the previous posts suggested with the shell. File the flattened end straight. After pushing the flattened copper through the teeth, with the grain of the teeth. it will get an edge conforming to the teeth. You should be able to push debris out of the teeth.

Ralph

15. piedmontg

piedmontg Registered User

Jun 14, 2009
    Hi

You might want to try what I use. I have mostly large files as I build scale models. There was just a discussion about cleaning files on another site. I have been using a piece of hardwood for over 35 years. Use oak or any other hard wood. I have some pivot files that I use in model building and they keep clean with the oak. All of my files also are "filed" with railroad chalk, also keeps them clean. I am sure you would not want to use railroad caulk in repairing a watch. When using just push on oak edge like you are filing it then run across the oak edge following the file cut and you should push all the junk out.

Bob

16. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    just repeat what has been warned against, do not use a steel wire brush.

Pure acetone and a toothbrush. How this quite works I'm not sure, but it does for me. I periodically put all my needle files in pure acetone, leave to soak for a few mins and then brush dirt and metal off, continuously rinsing in the acetone. Will not damage the teeth in any way.