• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Cleaning pendulums

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Isn’t it nice to have pendulums screwed together rather than pinned it makes so much easier to clean, has anyone had any success removing pins for cleaning, if so how did you do it, if not how do you clean them.
Dell
7CDBA303-007F-499A-BC5B-ED4A4386F830.jpeg CF53402A-C8F3-4602-8558-CAB28D6E36DD.jpeg

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I took apart my Kern pendulum (pinned) when I got it a few months ago. I bought a set of pin punches from Harbor Freight. The 1/16" pin punch bent to a 90 degree on two whacks. I bought a better quality 1/16" pin punch that works fine. The pins came out fairly easily and went back in just fine.

20211021_125130.jpg

Reactions: Dells

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Some have tapered pins, some don't. If it won't drive out one way, try from the other end.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Much prefer the easy to take apart types, had mixed results with removing the pins. Some are so small I have used a little piece of pivot wire held in vise grips as a punch.

Wayne

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
in the throes of a couple of pendulum restorations now. The Schatz pendulums came completely apart, allowing me to do a proper job of cleaning, polishing and waxing. I'm working on a Kundo miniature now and it's pinned together. Rather than take out the pins, I stripped it down as far as I could and tossed it in my tumble polisher. It took a while but the frame came out looking really good. The rest of the parts are routine polishing jobs.

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Rather than take out the pins, I stripped it down as far as I could and tossed it in my tumble polisher. It took a while but the frame came out looking really good. The rest of the parts are routine polishing jobs.
What is a tumble polisher ?
I have 5 JUF pendulums from disc (easy ) but not underneath because it has same S/No as clock 1 arrow and 3 others only one is pinned..

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
What is a tumble polisher ?
I have 5 JUF pendulums from disc (easy ) but not underneath because it has same S/No as clock 1 arrow and 3 others only one is pinned..
It's a rock polisher. I use an abrasive that is an admixture of ground walnut shells and liquid car polish. The parts in the foreground are from a Kundo miniature I'm restoring at the moment. I removed the lacquer with acetone and then tumbled the parts one at at time in the polisher. Took a while, but the resulting finish is excellent.

IMG-3695.JPG IMG-3696.JPG

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Attached is a photo of two Kundo pendulums - "after" and "before," if you will. I did no manual polishing on the refinished pendulum. I removed the lacquer using acetone and then tumbled the parts in the polisher shown above. The polishing was done in three separate runs - pendulum frame, small parts, and finally, the weights. This was done to (1) prevent any damage to the frame due to heavy parts (the weights) landing on it as it tumbled and (2) prevent nicks and scratches on the weights due to collisions against parts with sharp edges. Following tumbling, I blew off all parts with compressed air, wiped everything down with a soft cloth, oiled the frame mechanism, gave all parts a coat of wax and reassembled. Kundo pendulums.JPG

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
That looks very nice Shatznut
I will have to look into that would save a lot of elbow grease.
Thanks for sharing Dell

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Great. Now I need one of them. How long does it take for the frame?
It's a slow process - it took about 24 hours for the frame and 12 hours for each of the other runs. But it runs unattended so you can just let it take as long as it needs.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
After the 1st of the year, I'll get one. Where do you get the walnut?
It's a common abrasive that can be had at most industrial supply houses. Harbor Freight also carries it. It comes in different grades - I use the medium grit.

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
I am in the UK so will have to see if I can get it over here because it’s a pain cleaning some of them what’s the mixing rate.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I did a quick Google search for walnut abrasive in the UK and got plenty of hits. The tumbler should be no more than 1/3 full of abrasive. I generally add about a quarter of a cup of compound and mix it together thoroughly with a spatula prior to tumbling parts; otherwise the compound tends to clump up and not do much good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nersinho
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-