Cleaning old surface on Tower Clock

ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
Ohio
Country
Region
I have just purchased a tower clock that appears to have most all its paint and pinstripping. I want to nicely clean this and looking for ideas and suggestions on how to clean it without hurting the original paint and stripping. Somewhere I read about a mixture of Linseed Oil and Mineral Spirits..Any ideas anyone..?

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
Sponsor
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
I have just purchased a tower clock that appears to have most all its paint and pinstripping. I want to nicely clean this and looking for ideas and suggestions on how to clean it without hurting the original paint and stripping. Somewhere I read about a mixture of Linseed Oil and Mineral Spirits..Any ideas anyone..?
The mixture is 1/3 linseed oil, 1/3 turpentine, and 1/3 beeswax. Rub onto the paint with 0000 steel wool or a real fine nylon scrubbing pad (not the green one; use the maroon or gray one). Then buff. It removes the oxidation but leaves the paint. Be careful on any decoration.

Frank

darrahg

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 22, 2006
Houston
Country
Region
I would use mineral spirits, on a cloth or bristle brush, initially to remove all grease, oil and grime before applying linseed oil and beeswax as the latter two will seal and retain any foreign particles left on the clock. As always, try it on a small area in a well ventilated area first.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pmendoza
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions