Cleaning machine

P

Phil Hannah

I would like to move up from my old L&R cleaning machine to an ultrasonic. I would appreciate any advice as to make,,model and or experience.

With Thanks, Phil Hannah

P

Phil Hannah

I would like to move up from my old L&R cleaning machine to an ultrasonic. I would appreciate any advice as to make,,model and or experience.

With Thanks, Phil Hannah

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
Hi Phil, frankly, I prefer my "old L&R" Master for watch cleaning. The cleaner containers are small enough that I can regularly use fresh solutions and dump the slightly used fluids into the ultrasonics. Oh yeah, I also have two L&R 360H ultrasonic cleaners for clock cleaning, but I don't use them for watches. Even for clock gears with stubborn grease, I use an L&R Heavy Duty cleaner which is also a traditional style cleaner. My experience is that the wash action of a mechanical cleaner does a great job of getting the dirt in pinions - minmimizes the hand cleaning later. The Ultrasonics are great for big plates and "prewashing" a movement to do an estimate, but I prefer the Master for watches. Just my opinion.

Bill

P

Phil Hannah

Thanks Bill - I have a large L&R ultrasonic for clocks and it does a great job, but as you say it takes lots of cleaning fluid. I am getting busier and thought an ultrasonic unit would give a greater through put. Again thanks for your opinion!
Phil

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Phil,

You don't say if you are cleaning watches, clocks, or both. If you are doing watches, some thought must be given to the process of rinsing and drying after you are through with the ultrasonic cleaning. The older machines do that for you. Combination ultrasonic and centrifugal machines are available, but are awfully expensive unless you can find a good operational used one.

P

Phil Hannah

Doug - I am cleaning both watches and clocks, but not in the same machine. I have a L&R Mastermatic which I have used for years. Clocks I clean in a gallon sized L&R ultrasonic. I wand to increase my through put as I am becoming quite busy. I guess they like my work? I was looking at the Vibrograf Mark 5 but respect and want other opinions. I had also thought about a used machine.

Phil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeffbloz
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller