Cleaning a Schatz painted base

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Any advice on cleaning off the years of accumulated filth without removing the finish? The flowers are decals by the way. I've tried gentle cleaners, water, dish soap, windex, and nothing so far has had any visible effect. I did managed to make it less sticky.

The owners just asked me if I could get it running for them but the painted parts (base and dial) are so dirty I hate to return it in this condition.

Ideas?

painted_base.jpg

Thanks,
Eric

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Santa Rosa,CA
Country
Region
Hi Eric,
I have had good luck cleaning shellac surfaces using GOOP hand cleaner. It is gentle non-abrasive cleaner. The trick is to find some just strong enough to get the dirt off but not the paint also.
Good luck,
Stan

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I've used several things, although it's probably not possible to get it back to factory condition. Try a mild wax or a mild polishing compound. I think you like simichrome...I tend to a Blue Magic product...I think they're more or less the same. Pick a spot on the backside and try it...lightly at first, then wipe off. See if you're making progress.

I can understand the dilemma...hard to not try and make it look better. But then the customer just wanted it to run again. :whistle:

Kurt

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I think I would try a little "GoJo" sparingly and see what happens.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
I think it´s looking not too bad,let alone ist not looking "dirty" in any way,and the laquering/decals are fine ; considering the tendency of the laquer to flake I´d leave it as it is,perhaps one thin cover of wax to prevent further accumulation of dust and grim.
Burkhard

Reactions: Dave T

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I decided to just get the surface stuff off with some mild soap. It looks better all together and it's running well so I'll send it home.

400_day.jpg

Eric

Reactions: Dave T
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreenHill
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool