• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Cleaning a 400-day clock

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
I have serviced these clocks now for about 45 years, and I have done thousands of them. I have used
L & R 677 over all those years, followed by mineral spirits rinse and compressed air dry. That is, until one that I did, recently. I have long been dissatisfied with the effect the 677 has on the lacquered finish on the plates. With this last one I did, I decided to use mild soap and water on the plates after pegging all the bearing holes from both sides, rinsing in warm water, and compressed air drying. All the other parts were cleaned in 677, as usual. I quite liked the result. The finish on the plates was untouched, yet they were as clean as if they had been cleaned in 677! I have been converted! Oh, and by the way. I hope nobody will try to convince me to use water based cleaning concentrates! THAT is not going to happen!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I also use your method, Doug. The coated plates are not subjected to anything but water and Dawn dish washing detergent. I peg the holes after the bath. I do still use an Isopropyl Alcohol rinse, which does not bother the coating.

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
I could only use that method on a small amount of clocks that I do. Maybe you guys are getting better clocks than I am. If a clock has oil stains or other major irregularities, I feel like I have to strip the plates, polish them if necessary and re-coat them.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I could only use that method on a small amount of clocks that I do. Maybe you guys are getting better clocks than I am. If a clock has oil stains or other major irregularities, I feel like I have to strip the plates, polish them if necessary and re-coat them.
If the stains are on the outside of the plates and won't come off with soap and water, it's likely that the coating has been compromised anyway. In that case, stripping and re-doing is the best option.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mptha59
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit