• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Cleaning 200+ year old brass tarnished movement plates.

mikeinjax

Apr 30, 2008
Lake City, Fl USA
Country
Region
I have read many things on how not to clean or remove tarnish from and old cast English movement, but little to nothing on how to remove the tarnish. Your thoughts would be helpful. Also an opinion on whether to completely silver the dial 0r leave it brass?
IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0249.JPG

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
The chapter ring and seconds arbor would originally silver and the rest of the dial brass. The hands blued. Then lacquered.

I have used Horolene (qv) to clean plates and wheels, though many frown on these. Then all washed with petrol or meths (outside!) and dried.

mikeinjax

Apr 30, 2008
Lake City, Fl USA
Country
Region
The chapter ring and seconds arbor would originally silver and the rest of the dial brass. The hands blued. Then lacquered.

I have used Horolene (qv) to clean plates and wheels, though many frown on these. Then all washed with petrol or meths (outside!) and dried.

Thanks Mike, I will try that on Clock movement plates. As for the dial, it is a one piece dial. Trying to silver just the chapter ring could be difficult. It’s either silver the whole dial or leaving it polished brass.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
It's not difficult silvering, Mike. Now I can see that there's not a separate chapter ring - it's just one dial. :banghead:

Silvering isn't difficult using :

You don't need to disturb the numerals.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
That dial is exquisite! What does the indicator behind the square hole do - is it for date?

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
If it were mine, I’d silver the entire dial. I think it would look magnificent. One thing I like about the result of the silvering process is that it has a subdued shine. The dials still look old, but no longer tired and sad looking. There are videos online of old dials being silvered. Viewing those might help you make a decision by giving you an idea of how your dial might look if silvered.

mikeinjax

Apr 30, 2008
Lake City, Fl USA
Country
Region
If it were mine, I’d silver the entire dial. I think it would look magnificent. One thing I like about the result of the silvering process is that it has a subdued shine. The dials still look old, but no longer tired and sad looking. There are videos online of old dials being silvered. Viewing those might help you make a decision by giving you an idea of how your dial might look if silvered.
I have watched some of those YouTube videos of silvering Dials, must admit, I watch them more than once. My last order from Timesavers I did get a silver and kit. I had it in my mind to Silvert the entire dial, but wanting an opinion on what would be most appropriate. I like to restore back to what would have been original, as close as possible.

mikeinjax

Apr 30, 2008
Lake City, Fl USA
Country
Region
I have watched some of those YouTube videos of silvering Dials, must admit, I watch them more than once. My last order from Timesavers I did get a silver and kit. I had it in my mind to Silver the entire dial, but wanting an opinion on what would be most appropriate. I like to restore back to what would have been original, as close as possible. Did anyone notice the fox face on the dial?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trafxprt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry