Please ID this Clock CJ & Ci. Figurine vintage clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Sanjay Bajpai, Dec 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Sanjay Bajpai

Sanjay Bajpai Registered User

Dec 6, 2018
    Male
    Retired, hobby clock repairer
    LUcknow , India
    Country Flag:
    A figurative clock has come for repair to me. The figurine and base are gold plated. Clock is time only. From the look of the movement it appears circa 1890 - 1920. The movement escapement including some pivots and some parts including main Spring barrel have been abused by various repairers. It was found in and estate in Faizabad in India and repaired by some firm in Calcutta but never worked. No wonder as the suspension Spring was loose and made from some non descript metal leaf. The key arbour is also twisted. Some parts are in a state as to form a 'Hall of shame' pics of what not to do. The gear train seeks to be in good condition. No Crome plating is there so the clock seems to be of that era.

The back plate is marked CJ & C (CJ & Si). Apparently French. No other marking is available except no 25 which appears on all parts which gives an impression that all parts were crafted to fit this movement. Please zoom in on backplate image.

I request the esteemed members to identify the manufacturer and the era and suggest repair action or whatever valuable suggestions they can help me with, which will be a great help

image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You are right that your clock has a French movement, and indeed the whole clock probably originated in France. CJ &Co is probably the mark of the finisseur or even perhaps the importer (since it looks rather like CJ & Co, rather than CJ & Cie). Many French movements were either unmarked or only had the finisseur's mark. You might find a mark on the case, either the designer or the metal caster.

In my opinion the hands are definitely replacements and wrong. The pendulum bob is severely corroded/cracked and should be replaced with a similar one. A nice clock and well worth repairing.

JTD

3. Sanjay Bajpai

Dec 6, 2018
    Male
    LUcknow , India
    Country Flag:
    Dear JTD,
    Thank you for the input. Even the pallet fork and its arbour are not original. Hand made perhaps later to get the clock going. Am starting from one end. Will definitely work on the pendulum and post as it progresses
    Regards

4. Sanjay Bajpai

Dec 6, 2018
    Male
    LUcknow , India
    Country Flag:
    escapement pics

magnifier_20181227_080413.png magnifier_20181227_080444.png magnifier_20181227_080530.png

5. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks a nicely made case which isn't always true of some of these figural French clocks. Don't recognise CJ & Co but as JTD says it is very likely a finisher. I'd say it is earlier than 1880-1920. With some tlc and restoration it will be a very nice clock.

6. Sanjay Bajpai

Dec 6, 2018
    Male
    LUcknow , India
    Country Flag:
    Dear JM Cough
    Thanks for input. Am at it getting it in shape
    Regards

7. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    a classical French pendule , made for the typical pendule de Paris movement,either time and strike or time only.I´d put the case into the second quarter of the 19th century and I´d be interested in the material:scratch it in an unvisible region of the inside and look wether the base metal looks yellow=bronze or whitish=pot metal or spelter.I´d expect bronze.
    Regarding the mvmt. I´d prefer to restore what You have; alternatively one could be tempted to buy a loose movement from evilbay ,even a striker would be possible.But I dislike to support those clock-butcherers that part out intact clocks .
    The hands should either be spade hands or moon hands,both supplied by the trade,all other parts seem to be usable/repairable..This will be a nice and collectable clock when restored.
    Burkhard

8. Sanjay Bajpai

Dec 6, 2018
    Male
    LUcknow , India
    Country Flag:
    Dear Burkhard,
    so nice of you for the input.It is time only and belongs to a collector and only came to me because the firm in Calcutta did what job was in the pictures. I am posting pics of suspension also. I have cleaned up the parts and would now polish pinions pivots and gear teeth as well as bush some where required. Hopefully this clock should come out and give a useful life ahead as well as pleasure to its collector. I do not charge for labour so this kind of material sometimes finds way to me where others have taken a shortcut.

0. KD CJ & Cie disassembly (5).png 0. KD CJ & Cie disassembly (6).png 0. KD CJ & Cie disassembly (7).png 1. KD CJ & Cie cleaning (1).png 1. KD CJ & Cie cleaning (2).png 1. KD CJ & Cie cleaning (3).png 1. KD CJ & Cie cleaning (4).png

9. Sanjay Bajpai

Dec 6, 2018
    Male
    LUcknow , India
    Country Flag:
    I presume it had hands with rings.

1. KD CJ & Cie cleaning (5).png

10. Sanjay Bajpai

Dec 6, 2018
    Male
    LUcknow , India
    Country Flag:

Dear Mr Burkhard
    Would you kindly confirm that the hands in the origional clock was as per image attached
    regards
    Sanjay Bajpai

CJ & Cie hands.jpg

11. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes,Sir,these are the moon hands correct for this type of clock!
    Best regards
    Burkhard

12. Sanjay Bajpai

Dec 6, 2018
    Male
    LUcknow , India
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much sir
    God bless and wishes for a very happy n prosperous new year ahead to all members

13. Sanjay Bajpai

Dec 6, 2018
    Male
    LUcknow , India
    Country Flag:
    Clock on test stand now. Pendulum nut at lower bottom for testing only. Suspension spring too stiff
    Regards

20190106_192337.jpg

14. Sanjay Bajpai

Dec 6, 2018
    Male
    LUcknow , India
    Country Flag:
    Assembled and testing

20190109_211909.jpg