• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Civil War Waltham?

MikeB

Apr 12, 2001
Hi -

I just acquired Waltham William Ellery Key Wind SN# 235,198. "The Book" shows the year of production to be 1865.

The Civil War ended in April, I think. Does anyone know what month in 1865 my watch might have been produced? Can it correctly be called a "Civil War" era Waltham?

Thanks -- Mike.

[This message has been edited by MikeB (edited 11-09-2001).]

MikeB

Apr 12, 2001
Hi -

I just acquired Waltham William Ellery Key Wind SN# 235,198. "The Book" shows the year of production to be 1865.

The Civil War ended in April, I think. Does anyone know what month in 1865 my watch might have been produced? Can it correctly be called a "Civil War" era Waltham?

Thanks -- Mike.

[This message has been edited by MikeB (edited 11-09-2001).]

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
July-Aug. 1866-from the factory hand written records!

Jon

PS There are three "types" of Civil War Watches:

1) made during the civil war and used by soldiers

2) made during the Civil War and not used in the war or sold after the war ended

3) Bonefide CW watches, either inscribed and/or docummented as truly being used in the Civil War

PEOPLE GET SUCKED IN!

------------------
Jon Hanson, moderator

MikeB

Apr 12, 2001
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the info. I didn't buy it as a CW watch anyway - I just thought that it might be. Maybe I have a Civil War veteran's watch!

By the way, are copies of those Waltham handwritten records available anywhere? All I have is the Shugart serial number list.

Thanks again,
Mike.

ww123

Mar 14, 2009
You might try googling Serial No. runs, that helped with identifying my Wm. Ellery.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Gold Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
MikeB;41968 said:
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the info. I didn't buy it as a CW watch anyway - I just thought that it might be. Maybe I have a Civil War veteran's watch!

By the way, are copies of those Waltham handwritten records available anywhere? All I have is the Shugart serial number list.

Thanks again,
Mike.
Hi Mike:

Yes, the records are available online on the SN 1001 to 1.5M link accessable from the NAWCC Information Storage website. Once there, you'll have to blindly click on a few pages to get to serial number 235,198. Try the 3rd or 4th page from the left in the 5th row.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Renegade
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent