• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Civil War Presentation to 1st Medal Of Honor Combat Recipient

robert jeansonne

Mar 3, 2012
Texas
Country
Region
Hello All:

Need some advice on this Civil War presentation watch. This soldier, Charles Henry Tompkins, was a recipient of the medal of honor for his heroic actions at the Battle of Fairfax Courthouse in 1861. He enlisted as a 2nd Lt. in 1861 with the 2nd US infantry, and rose up the ranks quickly. This was the first action of the civil war that was awarded the Medal Of Honor. He became a Colonel of the !st Vermont Cavalry in 1862, and later a Brevette as General. He was selected by President Johnson as one 9 person military commission to investigate the Lincoln assasination.

My question is I need opinions on the inscription. Looks legitimate period inscriptions, but the lower section looks like a different font maybe penned by someone else. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Robert IMG_1451.JPG IMG_1453 - Copy.JPG IMG_1454.JPG IMG_1457(1).JPG

Last edited:

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Hi Robert,

I wouldn't be concerned about any clash between the fonts on the upper and lower parts of the inscription, but for a regimental presentation to its colonel, it strikes me as rather crude. Good engraving was pretty cheap and widely available back then. I've seen other Civil War presentation watches that are Swiss movements in American cases - I own one - but in my experience, all the presentation watches I have seen to commissioned officers are gold and have professional engraving. After all, the whole regiment would have been chipping in for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I am very suspicious of the engraving especially in the back of the watch. Its original engravng is heavily worn but the inscription is not. This suggests that is is recent.

BTW Perret usually sent very fine watches to the US.

Reactions: Clint Geller

robert jeansonne

Mar 3, 2012
Texas
Country
Region
I am very suspicious of the engraving especially in the back of the watch. Its original engravng is heavily worn but the inscription is not. This suggests that is is recent.

BTW Perret usually sent very fine watches to the US.
Thanks for all input. Greatly appreciated. I think I will leave this one alone.
Robert

Reactions: Clint Geller

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radome
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-