• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

City Watch Factory….

Keith H

May 18, 2004
Southampton, England
Country
Hi,
I have recently come across a movement which is stamped City Watch Factory. The retailer is Samson Ayers, Liverpool. It’s a standard English Fusee but the first time I have seen a reference to this factory.
Has anyone any info on it please?

794E7FC2-E6E3-4075-8EAB-E230C4DB4BA9.jpeg

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Keith

Sampson Ayers is listed in Liverpool trade directories for only a few years 1881 to 1883. I have never seen City Watch Factory on any other movements and neither can I find a listing. As you imply Ayres likely to be a retail outlet and possibly also a repair shop.

I am not convinced this watch was finished in Liverpool. I suspect it is a Coventry product which was signed for the retailer in a manner that he requested, the addition of the reference to 'Factory' a marketing ploy. I have formed the impression, not shared by everyone, that by the last quarter of the C19th while Liverpool had many retail outlets, a significant proportion of the 'everyday' watches that were being sold, were being finished in Coventry. This particularly being so for those watches in Coventry made cases and/or hallmarked at the Birmingham Assay Office.

John

Keith H

May 18, 2004
Southampton, England
Country
Keith

Sampson Ayers is listed in Liverpool trade directories for only a few years 1881 to 1883. I have never seen City Watch Factory on any other movements and neither can I find a listing. As you imply Ayres likely to be a retail outlet and possibly also a repair shop.

I am not convinced this watch was finished in Liverpool. I suspect it is a Coventry product which was signed for the retailer in a manner that he requested, the addition of the reference to 'Factory' a marketing ploy. I have formed the impression, not shared by everyone, that by the last quarter of the C19th while Liverpool had many retail outlets, a significant proportion of the 'everyday' watches that were being sold, were being finished in Coventry. This particularly being so for those watches in Coventry made cases and/or hallmarked at the Birmingham Assay Office.

John
John, Thanks for the information. I think you are correct in assuming the annotation was a marketing ploy. Here’s a photo of the dust cap which maybe shows the marketing awareness of this retailer.

34F66380-A5B6-48B6-A0A2-A4ED29941616.jpeg

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Keith - is the cap stamped with any initials? If so a photograph would be appreciated.

John

Keith H

May 18, 2004
Southampton, England
Country
I’ve just had a look at some dust caps in one of my odds boxes. Out of 26 there are 12 with initials . Can post photos if. You wish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trafxprt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry