• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Citizen Quartz. Any information?

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
I received this Citizen Crystron LC Quartz watch in a box of clocks I bought a few weeks ago. I don't know anything about watches, so I'm interested to find out a little about it.

The watch has an inscription from 1977, which I have chosen to blur for now. I think it was given as a trophy or commemorative gift of some sort. The chap I got it from felt it had significant value in its day. The model number (?) is 4-095286 Y and the back is stamped 60-1136 and G-N-15. It is also stamped 60402177 across the centre.

The face is very scratched. I thought about trying to polish it out with Autosol, but don't want to do anything I might regret. I don't know if the watch works but I assume, at the very least, it needs a new battery.

citizen-watch-back.jpg citizen-watch.jpg citizen-with-books.jpg

The box also had two Seiko books inside, but I assume they are not relevant at all to this watch.

Thanks in advance for any info.

[EDIT: Is it easy to remove the back and try a new battery myself, or is it best done with special tools and an ounce of know-how?)

Last edited:

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
Good grief - I remember when those came out. Cool watch!

The 4- number is the case serial number. The 604... is the watch's main serial number, showing it was manufactured in April 1976. The 60- is the model number. The GN- is the case type. The bracelet is either original or a direct replacement. Those had movements that were quite accurate. It's really cool that you have the original box and docs!

I cringe to say this, but if you have a pair of needle-nosed pliers, you may be able to get the back off by unscrewing it counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise (or do things unscrew backwards Down Under? :) )). Just don't let them slip - they'll make nasty, nasty scars. (My ancient Seikos are testament to that!) There are tools for removing that kind of back, everything from a plate with a couple of tabs sticking out to a $200+ composite Jaxa wrench. If there is still a battery in it, it's easy to cross-reference the older battery numbers with current ones. If it's there, examine the battery seat and contacts carefully for corrosion. If there is corrosion, but the metal is still in good shape, you can scrape the majority of it off, knock the powder out of the case, then use a cotton swab with a tiny bit of vinegar on it to neutralize any remaining alkaline goo. If the battery is not there, check the manual to see if it shows what it takes. My research indicates it *may* be a Renata 389 or its equivalent.

I hope it runs for you!

Glen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stademock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry