Citizen diver tube removal

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by darlek, Apr 26, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. darlek

darlek Registered User
    Donor

Apr 26, 2013
    Hi guys,
    I have come across a strange issue with a citizen diver watch. The screw down tube has a badly worn thread but I just can not see how it is removed. Normally I just insert a broach twist and they come out. However this appears different, the thread is made of what looks like brass and there is no obvious lip of the tube to allow for it to be pushed out. I was wondering if this one is a screw fit.
    The case No.824164 and it is fitted with a 8200A movement.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Do you have a replacement to put in?

To my knowledge, the Citizen ones push out. To do that though, you may have to modify a pair of pliers or purchase a pair that will do the job.

You can possibly tap it out with a small punch but again, it will all be to no avail if you have no replacement.

3. darlek

darlek Registered User
    Donor

Apr 26, 2013
    #3 darlek, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Thanks I have had it confirmed that these are friction fit but the pipe is very short. The problem is getting a grip on the old one to remove. There is not the usual lip visible to allow for it to be pushed/punched out. It will have to be pulled or levered out from the front and as yet I am not sure how I will do this because the threaded part is made of a brass material and seems very soft. My first thoughts on this is to try and repair the old thread with a needle file but I am not hopeful but it will be worth a try. I am hoping over this weekend to re-visit this but family commitments are stopping this project at present. Thanks for your time & I will report back on my progress (hopefully that is)
    PS I have several replacement parts already but until I remove the old one I am not sure if these have the correct measurements.

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    You need to push it out from inside the case. I have already tried to describe the simplest logistical engineering to do this.

5. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    I see what you mean, nothing to push on from the inside. Maybe if you tap it and put in a screw to pull it out?

6. darlek

darlek Registered User
    Donor

Apr 26, 2013
    I can now give you guys a heads up on how the Citizen tubes are fitted & replaced. I found after experimenting with some scrap Citizen watches that that the tubes are friction fitted to their standard watches BUT their Diver style watches to improve water resistance are screw fitted. Unfortunately with the watch I was working on a previous repairer had stripped the case thread and had glued it in and then packed it with a clear silicone.
    I removed the old tube by putting a slit into the top of the old tube with a slitting file and twisting it out.

The Citizen diver style
    threads in these cases only have a depth of 2mm. After a lot of thought & weighing up all the options I tried to tap the remainder of the case with a 3mm thread & screw in a longer crown tube that was 4mm long. I used a tap with a .35 pitch & drilled a hole of 2.6 mm BUT for some reason the thread would not take.

Therefore I fitted a friction fit tube & secured it with Loctite 243. I have tested the watch for waterproofing and it is waterproof at 5 Bar.

If I encounter this problem again I would just friction fit a tube and Loctite 243. If the original case thread is OK then it would be a very simple job to just shorten a standard screw in tube and just shorten the thread to fit.

Regards
    Derek

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]