citadel fifteen huguenin boxer watch info plz?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by daniel, Jul 27, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. daniel

daniel Registered User

Jul 27, 2007
    Hi all hope someone can help me out on this, I have a citdel fifteen watch swiss made with a boxer motif on the front, which is in an enclosed case and pops out of case when buttons on each end are pressed. It has the inscription huguenin underneath the boxer on the front face of the case. It is a wind up mechanism and is in good working order it has arabic chapters and blue leaf hands , just wondered if any one could give me any other information on it please?

Attached Files:

2. daniel

daniel Registered User

Jul 27, 2007
    Any one know where i can find any info? Tried absoluelty everywhere and come to a complete stand still.:bang:

3. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Daniel,

Please provide better photos and/or a more clear description. There were many Swiss makers named Huguenin and there was a company with a brand called Citadel but not Citdel that you mention. Is the case silver? Niello? Gunmetal?

Mike

4. daniel

daniel Registered User

Jul 27, 2007
    Sorry i Didnt realise i had Spelt it wrong yes it is citadel, The case is silver but has some sort of black coating on it to protect it, Sorry im rather new to this so i dont know what more info u need, it has arabic chapters and blue leaf hands. As for the pictures ill try and get clearer ones. Thanks.

5. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Daniel,

Your watch case/raised boxer looks interesting. Any chance of posting clear photos of case, dial and movement. What is the exact inscription on the face and movement? Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975 by Pritchard notes that Citadel was a brand/model name of Avia, Degoumois & Cie of Neuchatel and La Chaux de Fonds Switzerland and founded in 1887. If it is silver, it should have hallmarks and the dark case coating may be niello. Pritchard also mentions a booklet from the 1920s that said they made watches with "novel shapes".

Mike

6. daniel

daniel Registered User

Jul 27, 2007
    Hi i have tried to get some pictures of the case and dial, but as for the movement where it is in a enclosed case i can not get the back off to see the movement, as for scared of breaking it. Hope these pictures are a little better, i tried to pick up the mark huguenin just on the right corner of the boxers shorts but it is so tiny it is near on impossible, also the dial is the best i could get it in the pictures, hopefully you can just make out the citadel fifteen markings, as for hallmarks on the silver case i cant see any maybe they would be under the black protective coating? Thanks.

Attached Files:

7. daniel

daniel Registered User

Jul 27, 2007
    Sorry forgot to add this picture to of how it stands when it is open. And as you can see it is quite hard to get the back off to see the movement without completly removing the watch from its casing. Thanks.

Attached Files:

8. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Daniel,

You need to find someone to help you remove the case to see the movement so you can confirm the maker if his mark is on the movement (but there is a good chance the maker is as I stated above) and the finish/other features of the movement will determine the quality of your watch. However, from what I can see given the quality of your photo, the execution of the raised boxer is well done. Check the spelling of the case mark. The mark "Huegenin" is likely to be for Huegenin Brothers of Le Locle. They made high quality niello cases and would be a sign of quality in addition to what you find "under the hood" so to speak.

Mike

9. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike,

I think this case is more likely to be black enamel that niello. Black enamel is fairly common on the similar LeCoultre watches.

This style of flip up watch is not that uncommon, but the hinged back plate with the nice repousse figure is special.

10. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

Agreed, niello work would most likely have included patterns etc. I assume Huegenin also made enamel cases and that combined with a hopefully decent movement and raised boxer figure on the case would add up to an interesting watch. Good luck Daniel.

Mike