Circa 1700 fusee leather case repair

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Fusee fan, Dec 13, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The new version of the Forum is coming! This major upgrade of the Forum will take place in the early hours of November 2 and should be completed by noon. There will be no access to the Forum while the upgrade is taking place.
  1. Fusee fan

Fusee fan Guest

I have a circa 1700 George Ethrington, London watch in a leather covered case. The leather has been re-done at some point in the distant past with a simple (now cracking and curling) heavy black leather. I would love to get this re-done in something a bit more authentic for the time period in which it was made (something remotely resembling a shagreen texture perhaps). I have looked in the mart, magazines and such but have not found anybody out there offering such a service (I asked one friend who has been playing with fusees a lot longer than me and he said "good luck", but I figured I would ask anyway). Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

2. haneyk

haneyk Registered User

Apr 15, 2007
    You would probably have the most sucess by seeking out a leather worker, not a watchmaker. Just a suggestion...

3. Fusee fan

Fusee fan Guest

Thanks for that note! For some reason I had never considered that option. I will look into it (we have a fair number of leather workers around here.

4. Ansomnia

Ansomnia Registered User

Sep 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Fusee fan

Fusee fan Guest

Sorry I have not checked this for the past few days, I have fallen quite ill and have not been up to keeping up on things. I want to sincerely say THANK YOU to Ansomnia. The contact you gave me is invaluable. We do have plenty of good leather workers here, but I doubt that any would have much else than the usual cow hide and such. I now can get the supplies myself. I will start on it tommorrow. Thanks again!

6. Ansomnia

Ansomnia Registered User

Sep 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Fusee fan, I'm sorry to hear you've been very ill. I trust you are now feeling better and hopefully recovering fully.

I hope the link I provided will help a bit in your search for the proper shagreen material. I imagine there will be other issues to sort out along the way. It will be nice to see the results when you complete your restorations.

Good luck and Merry Christmas! :thumb:

Michael