Circa 1700 fusee leather case repair

F

Fusee fan

I have a circa 1700 George Ethrington, London watch in a leather covered case. The leather has been re-done at some point in the distant past with a simple (now cracking and curling) heavy black leather. I would love to get this re-done in something a bit more authentic for the time period in which it was made (something remotely resembling a shagreen texture perhaps). I have looked in the mart, magazines and such but have not found anybody out there offering such a service (I asked one friend who has been playing with fusees a lot longer than me and he said "good luck", but I figured I would ask anyway). Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

haneyk

Apr 15, 2007
You would probably have the most sucess by seeking out a leather worker, not a watchmaker. Just a suggestion...

F

Fusee fan

Thanks for that note! For some reason I had never considered that option. I will look into it (we have a fair number of leather workers around here.

F

Fusee fan

Sorry I have not checked this for the past few days, I have fallen quite ill and have not been up to keeping up on things. I want to sincerely say THANK YOU to Ansomnia. The contact you gave me is invaluable. We do have plenty of good leather workers here, but I doubt that any would have much else than the usual cow hide and such. I now can get the supplies myself. I will start on it tommorrow. Thanks again!

Ansomnia

Sep 11, 2005
Country
Region
Fusee fan, I'm sorry to hear you've been very ill. I trust you are now feeling better and hopefully recovering fully.

I hope the link I provided will help a bit in your search for the proper shagreen material. I imagine there will be other issues to sort out along the way. It will be nice to see the results when you complete your restorations.

Good luck and Merry Christmas! :thumb:

Michael

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynebernelli
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool