'Churchill' Pocket watch info?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by MINI, Jan 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. MINI

MINI Registered User

Sep 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Anyone recognize this pocket watch or movement? Apparently made in Brantford, Ontario, Canada

No markings on the inside of the case back and a picture of Winston Churchill on the case back.

Churchill PW Dial.jpg Churchill PW Movement.jpg

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The movement appears to be by the New Haven Clock Co. For comparison, below is a movement from a New Haven Compensated.
    Not a great picture of the movement, but I think you can distinguish the similarities.
    Dial.JPG Movement.JPG

MINI and musicguy like this.
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Sorry, I meant to add that New Haven made clocks and watches in Brantford from about 1906 through at least sometime in the 1930's. And with Churchill on the back, likely into the 1940's. Do a message board search of New Haven Brantford, and note this thread below.

Date of New Haven wall clock for historical society

musicguy likes this.
  4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I googled the Churchill name made by New Haven and came up with nothing. Hope you find some info on your watch.

5. MINI

MINI Registered User

Sep 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guys. I think with your information and that photo of the New Haven PW movement, we've confirmed that the Churchill watch was likely put together in New Haven's Brantford plant along with a case likely supplied by a local company called Gunther Mele (still exist) who confirmed that they did sell 'dollar' pocket watches back in the 1920's thru 1940's.

Kevin W. likes this.