Chs. Tissot & Fils Womans' Wrist Watch

E

Elaine

Hi I was hoping I could get some help about my Tissot wrist watch. The inside mechanics read:
Chs. Tissot & Fils, Swiss, 17 Seventeen Jewels, Unadjusted. On the pivot wheel (I think that's what it's called) it says TWA. The number on the mechanics is 5030231
On the inside of back case: TISSOT TA2023 188043 The outside of back case reads: (?)L(?)14K Gold. The crown has a "U" or "horseshoe" shape on its side.
That's the good news...the bad news is that the dial is original & only had SS under the 12 o'clock position (like the TI OT) wore away or were wiped away.
All of the inside mechanics appear to be gold, as the bezel, sides & back case.
I am having a hard time finding any resources for information as to its date,etc.
Also, I was curious as to if I changed the dial (or had a pro change the dial) to the same kind with the full word would that be worth it?
I'm not asking for a price,I just want to know if the dials are rare and if not would this watch be worth the investment of a new "old original" dial?
I love this watch but it's a shame the writing on the face is almost all gone.
Maybe I'm asking the impossible (for a needle in the haystack) but if someone could at least direct me to a site where I can figure the date and get a history of this watch.
Thanks!

E

Elaine

Hi I was hoping I could get some help about my Tissot wrist watch. The inside mechanics read:
Chs. Tissot & Fils, Swiss, 17 Seventeen Jewels, Unadjusted. On the pivot wheel (I think that's what it's called) it says TWA. The number on the mechanics is 5030231
On the inside of back case: TISSOT TA2023 188043 The outside of back case reads: (?)L(?)14K Gold. The crown has a "U" or "horseshoe" shape on its side.
That's the good news...the bad news is that the dial is original & only had SS under the 12 o'clock position (like the TI OT) wore away or were wiped away.
All of the inside mechanics appear to be gold, as the bezel, sides & back case.
I am having a hard time finding any resources for information as to its date,etc.
Also, I was curious as to if I changed the dial (or had a pro change the dial) to the same kind with the full word would that be worth it?
I'm not asking for a price,I just want to know if the dials are rare and if not would this watch be worth the investment of a new "old original" dial?
I love this watch but it's a shame the writing on the face is almost all gone.
Maybe I'm asking the impossible (for a needle in the haystack) but if someone could at least direct me to a site where I can figure the date and get a history of this watch.
Thanks!

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Elaine,

I am unable to give you any history on your particular watch, but I can give you a tidbit of information on the Tissot company. It was founded in 1853 in LeLocle, Switzerland, by Charles-Felicien Tissot and his son, Charles-Emile.

Charles-Emile spent several years in New York, building a market for the company's pocket watches in the USA. Until the Revolution in Russia in 1917, Tissot was Russia's main watch brand.

It was the Swiss companies that popularized watches for wear on the wrist, AND watches for women. That was in the early 20th century. By 1960, all but one of the American-made watch brands had disappeared in the wake of the Swiss juggernaut.

I am not certain what year it occurred, but Tissot was bought by the Swatch group who still produce Tissot watches today. My guess is that your watch is likely from the 1960s or early '70s, at a time before Swatch bought Tissot, before quartz watches for women engulfed mechanical watches, and while mechanical watches were still popular.

I think your best bet would be to have the dial on your watch refinished. Locating an NOS dial for a watch of that vintage would be next to impossible. Would it be worth the effort? Only you can make that determination. You need to talk to a watch repair professional who can diagnose what is needed, decide if he can guarantee the repair, and give you a price. Since you love the watch, chances are you will decide it is worth it.

Seasons Greetings!

Doug S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moneyrama
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff