Chronox batterie-elektrisch

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Burkhard Rasch, Oct 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    shot this just for fun on evilbay because the mvmt. looked interesting,was the only bidder and got it for a package of cigarettes.Mechanically it wants to run,looks like a good quality mvmt.,the balance runs in 4 jewels,all pinions cut,no plastic parts in the movement.The battery compartment has suffered from leakage,was easy to wire-brush,the case looks like a verry old form of plastik.The electrical circuit seems to run via the battery holder and the frame of the movement to a set of contacts/switch opened and closed by a form of "roller" on the balance shaft to the solenoid and from there an insulated way to the single central contact of the case´s outside . The front is signed "Chronox batterie-elektrisch",the back of the case bears : "Detex Germany Union" and the mvmt. a tiny : "Swiss made".
    My question now is:Who made the movement and what kind of battery does it use,how many volts , what shape etc?Any infos on that one ? Google only provides an old ad from the 30ies...
    BTW where is Les Leskowski/Eskmil? He surely would have known the answers!
    TIA for any comments,especially when helpfull!
    Burkhard

DSCN4119.JPG DSCN4120.JPG DSCN4127.JPG DSCN4122.JPG DSCN4129.JPG DSCN4113.JPG DSCN4117.JPG DSCN4115.JPG

2. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    after spending the time with digging in the internet I can partly answer my own questions: the clock is german,from the 30ies and (hopefully) runs on a flat 4.5 V battery.The mvmt. is called "Orel" and manufactured in Switzerland by one Buecher,it has 4jewels as expected.Now to get a matching battery and get the beast running!
    Burkhard

3. praezis

praezis Registered User

Feb 11, 2008
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Burkhard,

I remembered having read "Detex Union" somewhere and found a description in Schmidt, Elektrische Uhren.
    Hope this will answer your questions.
    I am glad that a good library still can beat the net...

Frank

detex1.jpg detex2.jpg

4. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank,thanks for Your reply and the pics with the description of that little movement.As long as I´m interested in clocks -which is quiet a while- this mvmt. never has crossed my way, nor the Detex Union.
    But look what I found: a four page ad of Chronox clocks in different cases,and obviously with at least two different mvmts,also with technical details.Thanks for Your info,it certainly will help me to get mine running,when the battery arives!
    Burkhard

DSCN4131.JPG DSCN4138.JPG DSCN4140.JPG DSCN4146.JPG

BTW a question from an electric idiot: what is that brown "textile thingy" glued on the movement near the solenoid and wired into the circuit ?TIA for any enlightenment!
    B.

5. praezis

praezis Registered User

Feb 11, 2008
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The brown one? It is an isolating tube, today made from plastics.
    Frank

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Burkhard,

Schmid's 'Lexikon der deutschen Uhrenindustrie' 3rd. ed., vol. 2, p.105, has half a page of history of Detex-Union GmbH. It doesn't tell you very much more than you already know, but you might find it interesting.

JTD

7. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    got the 4.5Volt battery and it is running nicely with it: the balance makes 2 complete swings per second which makes it a 4-beat-per-second movement and the "escape wheel" is pushed instantaneously foreward every second beat.Compared to other electric clocks it has a pretty loud "tic".
    Burkhard

DSCN4161.JPG