Marine: Chronometer Repair Label

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Paul Regan, Sep 7, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Paul Regan, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    This label is on one of my gimbaled box chronometers, a Bliss & Creighton. I have seen this label and am aware that The George E Butler was a prominent supplier to the marine industry. What I would like to know is if anyone has been successful in finding access to the service records for that company. This particular chronometer was last serviced in 1960 and at that time was already 110 years old. It would be great to be able to relate Job #2347 to a particular ship. Looks like it had a General Overhaul at that time.
    Thanks, Paul

BTW, it sure would be nice to have a "Chronometer" category to post to!

Attached Files:

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a nice label but it is likely as useful as the repair marks in the back of pocket watch cases. Unless you have the records of the repair service, there is not much to learn.

If you want a chronometer forum, you need to take the pledge and be willing to moderate it at a minimum.

We could and probably should add the chronometer prefix to the Watch Repair Forum.

3. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, thanks for your response and your confidence in my ability to be a moderator. Unfortunately I only log onto the Forum once or twice a week nowadays. I suppose an identified subject such as "Chronometers" would get me here more often as in the days when I collected American pocket watches.
    Paul

4. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd like to see a "Chronometer Forum" and Paul would be an excellent moderator. Would it be possible to consolidate all the old chronometer posts under the new category?

5. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The subject of a stand alone forum for marine chronometers has popped up from time to time for at least the last 25 years. And might have been discussed for even longer than that! The problem appears to be that the definition of what is a chronometer is very broad. And attempting to limit the focus to marine chronometers might be a challenge.

6. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doug, the category could be all encompassing "chronometers". Just as "Pocket Watches" covers anything from a Dollar Watch, to Rail Road, to the Waltham American Grade '72. It would be nice to have them in one place. As long as we don't see the Ebay fauxpah of chronograph mixed up with chronometer.
    Paul

7. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Paul,

A search of the MB archives regarding a stand alone marine chronometer forum on the MB will reveal many threads on the topic. Rather than to regurgitate all the pros and cons that surfaced in those threads, a search will reveal all that has been said. Net result? Still no stand alone marine chronometer forum on the MB.

8. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Under the "Clock Forum" there are 11 different categories including : wood movements, 400 day Atmos, electric horology, reverse dial and glass painting, repair, repair hints,construction, case and restoration repair. Under the "Watch Forum" there are only 5.

How about Marine Navigational Chronometers, Watches and Clocks? If a person posts something the moderator feels is in the incorrect category he can then move it just as they do now.

9. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We have a thread prefix facility that allows one to segment a broader topic into specific subtopics. We now have a Chronometer forum that uses prefixes for Marine Chronometers, Pocket Chronometers, Deck Watches, Survey chronometers and Chronometry the general subject with no specific reference to a device.

10. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

A great big THANK YOU to you and whoever else may have made this positive addition to the discussion board!

burt

11. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Alleluia! A welcome addition!