Chronometer Makers of the World

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Frank Menez, Aug 17, 2004.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Frank Menez

Frank Menez Registered User
    Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just received my copy of Chronometer Makers of the World Revised Edition by Tony Mercer.

This is a book all Chronometers Lovers should have. It is a bit expensive but worth it.

Frank Menez

2. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just received my copy of Chronometer Makers of the World Revised Edition by Tony Mercer.

This is a book all Chronometers Lovers should have. It is a bit expensive but worth it.

Frank Menez

3. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank, junior,

Did you have to order this one from overseas? Was there any discount? Shipping, expensive as FMM points out?

J

4. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JH

Chronometer Makers of the World by Tony Mercer

Alibris--$90.87 (Germany)

$82.36 (UK)

$119.95 (Australia)

Abebooks-- $75.31 (UK)

Rita Shenton- 40 Pounds (UK)

PLUS SHIPPING

FM

5. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I'll have 2 copies in Syracuse this week.

Ralph

6. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

The above serves as an example I would propose for inclusion in the NAWCC Moderator's handbook.

Q: When is an offer to sell not a 'for sale' ad?

A: When it is in response to a request for information about the availability or price of an item or service.

For example, Frank posts a review of a book, Jon asks about the availability of the book, and Frank lists some sources and prices. Ralph adds that he has two copies (presumably for sale). All of this is OK, because Frank and Ralph are helping Jon obtain something he is looking for.

Regards,
    Mike

7. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks kindly M. Moderator, and I wish to point out that (ESPECIALLY) books are quite different from watches and clocks.

Books are for knowledge and study; few are book dealers and anyone trying to make a living selling obsolete books, well..................forget it!

In my opinion books are a very important asset of any hobby--a real foundation of history, knowledge and study. I also have noticed that of the lectures I have given at museums, clubs, conventions, seminars, books seem to hold the most interest re short subjects!

I actually collect books as well as read them and have so for nearly 50 years. Books are a source as this MB in the hunt for knowledge!

8. Modersohn

Modersohn Registered User

Nov 15, 2003
    I personally wouldn't have considered Fortunat's comments an ad.

Even more so this instance.

There are differing ways of understanding an "ad" but I can't help but feel that trying to point someone who wants an item in the right direction, is not a characteristic of an ad.

Now maybe, unbeknownst to us, Fortunat will profit financially from sale of the book. Then, I might have a different opinion.

If I said, that I'd found this great site for horological lit., say alibris? Is that an ad for alibis?

The most relevant passages from Websters:

Advertising: 1. the action of calling something to the attention of the public esp. by paid announcements

Advertise...2. ...c.: to call public attention to esp. by emphasizing desirable qualities so as to arouse a desire to buy or patronize

I suppose the second definition is the one that matters. But let's say that Fortunat is an enthusiast and not one to turn a critical eye on the books he reviews. In fact, his choice of books may be motivated by his idea of their value. Often is trying to arouse our desire to buy them--if only because he believes that our horological education will be enhanced. Are all his reviews ads, then?

This is a somewhat confusing matter.

Mo

9. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On the subject of values, I suggest that price and availability of books in print should be allowed. This is not like an appraisal. Also, as mentioned there are not a lot of horological book dealers and publishers. I suggest that anything that promotes buying books in print is in the intersts of colelctors and the NAWCC.

Same for overstocks and close outs. When we get to antique books its another matter.

I found these threads well in bounds. I also appreciate that the moderator addressed this issue with a degree of tact that is a good example for others.

10. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One thing more, Powells has the best price I found on the Mercer book and that is weher I bough mine.

I agree with Frank, I usually do, its a great book and value.

11. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Dr Jon,

Was that the revised edition , that you bought?? I just looked at Powell's website and could not find it.

Ralph

12. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry about that.

Here is the URL that I used.

Search URL

When I used it the ABE books consortium led me to Powells. From the messages I got it looked like Powells was bringing in a some from the UK, but I sent them the money and got the book.

The results I got today show that Powells is not now handling the book.

However the prices I just saw are very similar and still a bit less than Frank got.

13. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Jon,

Yes, that is the same engine I use.... I was wondering if anyone in the states was handling the book. I ordered mine from England.

Of course, members can always check the eMart.

Thanks, Ralph

14. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I ordered one from Powells last week. It seems to be the most economical U.S. source.

15. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    There are 6 copies available on abe starting at 66- + 10bucks shipping. There's a copy at 68-, two at 73- etc. These are all the 2004 ed.
    -Cort