Chronometry: Chronometer Disposal

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by mdjtlj, Jun 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mdjtlj

mdjtlj Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    Greetings,

I hope I'm not violating any forum rules with this post. I'm going to be in the process of liquidating a collection of chronometers and I don't have any idea as to where to start on this. What would be the best place to do so? Auction Houses? EBay? etc.... Any tips or pointers on the various avenues?

2. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    If any of them are military related the MWR a military time piece forum they have a PX section to post stuff for sale. It's free to post there. Ebay I bought but never sold but hear the fees kill you if your a seller. I only bidded a few times at auction houses and every time I got out bided so there you mite make the most on them.
    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Main-Forum

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seen decent results at the live auctions I have attended. I suggest you check out local auction houses that sell watches and or clocks at dedicated auctions. If you ahve a large collection there are several horological auction houses that will pick them up from you.

The key issues are insurance/security, commissions and buyer's premium. Security deals with how they keep it safe and control the people who examine it and the sale preview. The commission is how much they take from the hammer price. Commission is based on this and does not include buyer's premium. High premium means you get less of total price the buyer pays. As a rule of thumb expect the house to take 1/4 to1/3.

There are also people who sell on line exclusively and they usually take a comparable "cut".