Pocket: Chronograph Timer Need Help with ID Unusual 3 color Dial

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Jim Haney, Jan 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know who made this and I thought someone would recognize it. The dial is a work of art or engineering with Red, Blue & black.

It has a 30 Min accumulator scale at the top and I don't know what some of the Blue & red number tracks mean?

Inside the dust cover is lightly scratches P (M) ?esler click, 317 Engineer Co. A

The stamp inside the read lid says Depose Argentan and has a symbol above it.

DSCN8552.JPG DSCN8553.JPG DSCN8554.JPG DSCN8555.JPG DSCN8556.JPG DSCN8557.JPG DSCN8558.JPG DSCN8560.JPG

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    Beautiful! It is just a tachymeter with range extended past one minute. The small dial's little colored rectangles tell you which scale to read.

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    According to the note on the dial, the spiral tracks calculate something for a distance of 1,000 meters.

When the hand goes around one full turn the calculation is 60. After two turns it is 30 while after 3 tuns it is 20 and 4 turns gives 15.

If my mind were working better right now, I could probably tell you the measurement. I can't figure out how 1,000 meters in one minute measure 60 of anything. If it said per mile instead of 1,000 meters, it would be measuring miles per hour for a measured mile.

Aha! It is measuring speed in Kilometers per hour over a measured Kilometer.

I see Chris is much more alert than I am.

4. captainscarlet

captainscarlet Registered User

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jim, this movement has the look of a 'Valjoux 5KVM' Ranfft also has this listed as a 'Lip K432'. Great looking watch.

5. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    As Tom says, it measures km/h over a measured course. If the hand is on its first revolution (up to 1 minute), then read off the inner red scale, which reads fro 240kmh/h to 60 km/h. If it takes longer, and the hand starts going around a second time, read from the light blue scale (from 60kmh to 30kmh) and so on for up to four revolutions of the hand, which measures down to 15km/h.

6. sharukh

sharukh Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Doctor
    Mumbai, India
    Country Flag:
    "Depose" is French for "Registered" or "Trademark"

Argentum is the Latin name for silver, so Argentan probably stands for an alloy of silver or maybe just a proprietary name for a "silvery" alloy.

Sharukh

7. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for all of the replies. The Ranfft site was no help, looks like a big ad page.

So, I would say it is an European WW! Tachymeter for measuring speed over distance in Kilometers