Chronart "Twinface" movement assembly

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Chris, Dec 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris

Chris Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Nov 4, 2001
    Clock and phonograph repair
    South Easton, MA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone have photos or patent pics of the Chronart twinface (also called the twindial) clock movement? I have one apart that was water damaged but the alignment of the gears eludes me. I just haven't found the right way up with each one. It has a field coil by Wheeler (#864). Any help appreciated.

2. Chris

Chris Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Nov 4, 2001
    Clock and phonograph repair
    South Easton, MA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, I realized what I did wrong and got the train in properly, but I have two more major issues with this clock. First, the field coil appears to be dead as it does not cause any typical vibration with a screwdriver like a Telechron coil. Second, the infamous fiber gear in this one has lost almost every tooth. I figure I might be able to use a telechron coil in its place, but does anyone have a 3d printer or some other CAD type machine that can make a replacement based on the remaining teeth, etc.? PM if you can help.

3. Gordon Fogg

Gordon Fogg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Hi Chris,

I don't know if you're still interested in repairing your Twinface clock, but if so, maybe I can help. I've reconditioned two of them recently. One had the dreaded fiber gear failure. I found a brass gear from a Telechron clock that matched the fiber gear dimensions perfectly. Using this gear in the Twinface movement required making a brass hub to mate the Telechron gear with the Twinface shaft. I had concerns about noise, but the repaired movement seems to run quietly.

If you like, I can post more information and photos that may help.

- Gordon.