• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Chrome Pivot photo.

gordon

Mar 7, 2007
Canton, Michigan 48187
Country
Hello All

With all the discussion of German movements with chrome pivots I have never seen a photo of a faile chrome pivot.

I have a photo of a chrome Pivot from a Hermle 451-050 ......1976.

I believe the photo shows the failed chrome? Do you see the same or are you able to post a better photo?

IMG_20211206_180923.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
David L. posted a micrograph of a pivot that was sheading it's plating. This was the best illustration I have seen.

I would guess most of these movements have made there way to the bone yard by now.

There is much controversy about exactly what the plating is. Some of the early 70s clocks appeared to have different kinds of plating. I have a photo of the white powdery 'frost' that often appeared, looked like cadmium or zinc oxide??

Re-pivoting, or new parts, are the only things that have worked for me.

Willie X

gordon

Mar 7, 2007
Canton, Michigan 48187
Country
David L. posted a micrograph of a pivot that was sheading it's plating. This was the best illustration I have seen.

I would guess most of these movements have made there way to the bone yard by now.

There is much controversy about exactly what the plating is. Some of the early 70s clocks appeared to have different kinds of plating. I have a photo of the white powdery 'frost' that often appeared, looked like cadmium or zinc oxide??

Re-pivoting, or new parts, are the only things that have worked for me.

Willie X
Is there a link to David L's micro photo?

Gordon

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
My reaction to them has been that even though the underlying steel is softer than desired, it's still steel and harder than brass. So when necessary I have removed the coating and polished the steel. That has worked satisfactorily. Butterbearings are a good option too, especially for the first and second wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RARE
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-