Deck Watch: Christmas Came Early! (And why you should inspect before running new aquisitions)

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by watchwldr940, Dec 15, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. watchwldr940

watchwldr940 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Santa brought me a present today-- a Hamilton model 22 Deck Watch to compliment my Model 21. I believe it dates to 1944 (2F9045) but it is in a sterile case and I'm pretty sure the boxes are the new ones currently available-- any opinions?
    I naturally wound it to see it run, then checked the jewels under the microscope and found just what I expected-- dried lube . So the power came off and it'll have to wait till the backlog on my bench is taken care of, then I'll service it. It might not have a detent or fusee chain, but it's still neat! George

cell phone pics 12-15 166.jpg cell phone pics 12-15 170.jpg cell phone pics 12-15 165.jpg cell phone pics 12-15 163.jpg cell phone pics 12-15 161.jpg cell phone pics 12-15 167.jpg

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Finished and sold Feb. 17, 1944. Neat. Mind you, if you want a gimballed one to add to the collection, they come up for sale once in a while. I've seen the after market cases for them, and I feel they are well done. I believe the hardware is genuine NOS Hamilton. These model 22s run well when in peak condition, but I still feel my 21 is a better timekeeper. Enjoy!

3. watchwldr940

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Thanks, Doug!
    I actually started my modest collection with a gimbaled version but promised my wife that I would sell it if I ever found a model 21. I kept that promise, which she actually advised against (bless her heart). But I let it go to fund the model 21. Both of those were bought at regionals from Larry C. So when she saw me watching this one at a local auction she decided I should have it, and I wasn't going to question her judgment a second time!
    As to the boxes and case being NOS, they certainly appear as such, but I am surprised that one of these would have "avoided the draft" in 1944. However, whatever the case, the movement is in excellent condition, with hardly any marring of the screw heads, and no other signs of mishandling. I can't wait to service it and see what it'll do. George

4. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A similar situation and an insistent wife is the primary reason I bought my 21 in Coupeville, Wash., 30 years ago. I had decided to pass on it, but she got angry. A phone call to my banker back home to arrange a bank draft, and 24-hours later the 21 was mine! I bought my 22 about 25 years ago, from a guy in Vancouver, B C who had six of them! I sold one for him, he sold one to me, and as far as I am aware, he never sold another one. His estate is now dealing with the remaining four last I heard.

5. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice acquisition George. I would agree that at least the outer box appears new. But who cares, it's a nice complete package.
    Paul

6. Douglas Romero

Douglas Romero Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Male
    Retired IT consult
    New England
    Country Flag:
    George, very nice. My guess is boxes from Ship's Cabinetry. Excellent work. I have purchased 3 inner boxes for this type Mod 22 over the years and he does exceptional work. Sold all them except one with both inner and outer boxes that are orig, old and about perfect. Bought that one over 35 years ago. Even came with the 2 screws (not used) as to hold the outer box down. Could be older stock as never used without any wear whatsoever. Think this was prior to SC making the boxes. Who knows but made prior to 1980 at least.

Question - I don't see any military markings on your Mod 22 Case back. Is it blank? Funny how the PW market in general is down and these 22's are up in asking/selling price.

7. watchwldr940

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Doug
    The case is unmarked and pristine. As is the movement, which I feel is unusual for a timepiece like this that was manufactured during the war for wartime purposes. Perhaps the mvt was recased at some point, but the condition of the movement mirrors that of the case. I guess I ended up with a mystery, albeit one in very nice condition! George

8. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe we need to step back on our judgement of the age of George's 22 boxes. This is my non-gimbaled 22 and it happens to be in it's original packaging as new. The condition of which is apparently unused. Unlike George's it does have the military markings. I have seen one other like this and within about 100 serial numbers apart. I assume it was military surplus. I do agree that Gary Sellick does do a wonderful job of reproducing these, however mine is original.
    Paul

Attached Files:

9. watchwldr940

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Paul
    Beautiful set! I have seen old ads listing these for sale after the war. In fact, mine came with the overhaul manuals to which were added the adverts. If I get a chance I'll scan the ad, which lists a price of, I believe, $110 with the outer box.
    What are your thoughts about the age of my boxes? The movement sort of speaks for itself but the boxes...
    Thanks to all for your excellent input! George

10. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you George,
    Yours could very well be surplus as mine is. Whatever the case you have a very nice 22.
    Paul