Chinese or genuine Hermle movement?!

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by NEW65, Oct 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi folks.
    I’ve just bought a floor clock/ the clock case looks almost certain to be a produce of China.
    The gong has brass coloured chime rods!
    The movement is Hermle 1161 weight driven on cables. The movement is clearly stamped with Hermle details inscribed.
    Tbh I’m not sure if this is a genuine Hermle mechanism as the hammers (the wires) are extremely thin and incredibly easy to bend to align with the chime rods. In my experience the genuine Hermle units are not like this.
    Is there any way in telling a fake movement?
    Just curious :)
    Cheers

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I duno but I do know that the Hermle line of clocks has been using lots of Chinese cases for many years.

How bout some photos?

WIllie X

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, photo's would help. The Chinese are very uncaring about American patents, and have used logo's from American manufacturers on their low quality reproductions. I've never seen the Hermle name on a Chinese copy, but wouldn't be surprised to see one.

4. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It sounds like the movement is likely a genuine Hermle. Hermle never did make their own clocks cases except recently in the US. They have always sold the movements to case manufacturers such as Ridgeway, etc. In Germany, Hermle did have others make the clock cases for them and the Hermle name was put on the clock.

5. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi. Thanks for the comments. I still have the clock and will take movement out and take pictures. The only thing that made me doubt things was the ease with which the hammer wires bent - as far as I know Hermle never made these that easy to bend! I’ll do that soon as I want to know for sure if of course there are any telltale signs. How can you tell??

6. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Copper chime rods are typical. There were a handful of steel chime rods sets that were given a brass or chrome-like finishing for certain cases but without further photos it's impossible to discern whether or not your clock is an authentic Hermle or a fake.